2014-2015 INTERACT Postdoctoral Fellowship
The Weatherhead East Asian Institute will be inviting applications for a 2014-2015 postdoctoral fellow through the International Network to Expand Regional and Collaborative Teaching (INTERACT) program at Columbia University. This fellowship is for the academic year 2014-2015 and is open to scholars conducting research on East Asia and Southeast Asia within a global context. The fellowship will cover a 10-month period beginning August 1, 2014, and comes with a $45,000 plus benefits. Please note that funding for this position is contingent on funding from the United States Department of Education.
INTERACT is a pioneering program at Columbia University that focuses on developing global studies in the undergraduate curriculum through a network of postdoctoral scholars focused on cross-regional, trans-regional and interdisciplinary study. Columbia University will offer several INTERACT Postdoctoral Fellowships in the 2014-2015 academic year, with candidates selected by centers and institutes across the University. Candidates will function as liaisons between their home office and the INTERACT network of scholars with other regional and disciplinary specializations.
The Weatherhead East Asian Institute will offer one INTERACT Fellowship to an outstanding scholar of modern and contemporary East Asia with a demonstrated emphasis on global context and connections.
INTERACT's primary goal is to improve global literacy among Columbia students and equip them to be leaders in a globalizing world. These objectives will be met through innovative courses, participating in Institute programs and events, and an annual outreach event organized collaboratively by INTERACT Fellows.
The Weatherhead East Asian Institute's INTERACT Fellow will devote half of their time to teaching and working with other Fellows on INTERACT programming, and half time to his or her own research and writing. The Fellow's curricular responsibility would be to develop one course each semester (Fall 2014 and Spring 2015), in coordination with Columbia's Global Core Curriculum, focused on East Asia in a global context. The Fellow is required to be in residence in the New York City area and participate in all activities of the INTERACT program collaborative.
- Candidates from all East Asian disciplines and areas of study are welcome to apply. Geographically this includes China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Tibet, and Mongolia.
- Recipients of the Fellowship must have received their Ph.D. degree within the past five years (Spring 2009 and after).
- Recipients must complete all their Ph.D. requirements (completed and filed the dissertation) by June 30, 2014
The following list of materials is required for all applicants.
- Completed Application Cover Sheet
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of classes taught (if any)
- Course evaluations for classes taught (if any)
- A statement not exceeding 300 words that conveys your personal outlook on trans-regional and global approaches and their role in the undergraduate curriculum
- Two undergraduate course proposals to be offered at Columbia University. These courses are to be offered without prerequisites, and must emphasize cross-border, trans-regional, and interdisciplinary approaches that connect back to the East Asia region. These course proposals are meant to convey a sense of your teaching interests beyond the specialized topic of your PhD research. Please see "Constructing a Course Syllabus" for format guidelines.
- 3 letters of reference (signed and sealed) that include an evaluation of your research, proposed courses and prior teaching experience.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: All application materials (including letters of reference) must be received by the Institute on or before January 31, 2014. Faxed or emailed applications will not be accepted. Candidates may be invited for a phone interview or interview in person at AAS. All evaluations made in connection with applications received are confidential.
Awards will be announced no later than March 31, 2014. Acceptance of award is due no later than April 7, 2014.
Please return completed applications to:
INTERACT Postdoctoral Fellowships
Weatherhead East Asian Institute
420 West 118th Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10027