Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund (SYLFF) Fellowship
Provides partial, academic year support to advanced doctoral students in East Asian studies who are completing coursework, pursuing dissertation research, or at the dissertation write-up stage. Priority will be given to students whose research focuses on Southeast Asia and on regional or cross-national issues in East Asia. Doctoral work focused on politics, economy, business, international and public affairs, law, society, and media in modern East Asia are eligible.
- Academic year support for matriculation and fees, health insurance, and stipend
- Awards are approximately $10,000 to $12,000
- Advanced Ph.D. students focused on politics, economy, business, international and public affairs, law, society, and media in modern East and Southeast Asia
- Completing coursework, pursuing dissertation research, or in the dissertation write-up phase
- Priority will be given to students whose research focuses on Southeast Asia and on regional or cross-national issues in East Asia
- Projects dealing with Japan are not eligible
- One to two awards per academic year
- Recipients of the award must report to the Weatherhead East Asian Institute any additional funds, such as another grant, that they receive in support of the same activities. The total amount of funding received for the project must not exceed the limits dictated by the student's school. Should a student receive multiple sources of funding for the same project, the WEAI will adjust or withdraw the amount granted to the student so as to remain below the cap dictated by the student's school.
- Submit the following application materials:
- Basic Application Form
- all official academic transcripts, including those from Columbia
- two letters of reference
- statement of progress of approximately four pages describing your dissertation progress
- budget showing your expenses for the academic year
For general application instructions, guidelines, and fellowships, click here.
For general information on fellowships and grants and to apply, click here.