Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund (SYLFF) Summer Grant
- Provides summer funding for projects focused on politics, economy, business, international and public affairs, law, society, and media in modern East or Southeast Asia
- All GSAS, Teachers College, and professional school (Business, Jounalism, Law, Medical, SIPA) students
- Priority will be given to students for research or secured internships in Southeast Asia, and to students who wish to use their research or internship to expand their expertise beyond their main country of interest.
- Projects dealing with Japan are not eligible
- Partial support for travel and cost of living expenses (amount varies between $1,000 and $3,000)
- Average of 10 awards per summer.
- Selection criteria include
- Academic excellence
- Demonstrated commitment to Southeast or East Asia, and to incorporating it in one's long-term academic or professional career goals
- Recipients of the award must report to the Weatherhead East Asian Institute any additional funds, such as another grant, that they receive in support of the same activities. The total amount of funding received for the project must not exceed the limits dictated by the student's school. Should a student receive multiple sources of funding for the same project, the WEAI will adjust or withdraw the amount granted to the student so as to remain below the cap dictated by the student's school.
- Submit the following application materials:
- Basic Application Form
- one page description of the proposed project
- official Columbia University transcript
- one letter of recommendation
- detailed budget
- if your project is an internship, a letter from the host organization confirming your internship
For general application instructions and guidelines, click here.
For general information on fellowships and grants and to apply, click here.