V. K. Wellington Koo Fellowship
Available for the academic year to social science and history doctoral students at the write-up stage of their dissertation, whose research is focused on East Asia. Provides matriculation and fees plus a stipend. Preference is given to students focusing on modern Chinese history or political science.
- Academic year support for tuition, matriculation and fees, health insurance, and/or stipend
- Amounts vary from approximately $5,000 to $12,000
- Ph.D. students doing dissertation write-up
- Research focus on modern Chinese history or political science
- Any social science discipline, including history
- Preference will be given to students in the fifth year and beyond
- One award per academic year
- Recipients of the award must report to the Weatherhead East Asian Institute any additional funds, such as another grant, that they receive in support of the same activities. The total amount of funding received for the project must not exceed the limits dictated by the student's school. Should a student receive multiple sources of funding for the same project, the WEAI will adjust or withdraw the amount granted to the student so as to remain below the cap dictated by the student's school.
- Submit the following application materials:
- Basic Application Form
- statement of progress of approximately four pages describing your dissertation progress
- two letters of reference
- all official academic transcripts, including those from Columbia
- budget showing your expenses for the academic year
For general application instructions, guidelines, and fellowships, click here.
For general information on fellowships and grants and to apply, click here.