Weatherhead Undergraduate Training Grant
Provides up to $2,500 in support to undergraduate students for summer projects in East Asia that develop academic and/or professional expertise. Examples of eligible projects include research or a secured, uncompensated internship. Projects involving a single East Asian country are eligible, and priority will be given to projects that cross traditional disciplinary, geographic, or temporal boundaries, as well as to applicants with a commitment to make East Asia a part of their long-term careers.
- Provides summer funding to support projects such as internships or research to encourage undergraduate study and engagement with modern and contemporary East Asia.
- Undergraduate students matriculated in Barnard College, Columbia College, SEAS, and the School of General Studies
- Minimum GPA of 3.5
- Completed at least two courses in East Asian studies before applying
- Available to current and continuing students only
- Examples of projects include research or unpaid internships in East Asia
- Students seeking funding for an unpaid internship may apply for the grant even if they have not yet secured an internship; however, any grant offer would be contingent upon confirmation of the internship. If arrangements with a potential organization are at an advanced stage at the time of the application deadline, students are encouraged to provide relevant documentation (email correspondence, letter from the potential host organization, etc.) with the rest of their application materials.
- Up to $2,500 in support
- Average of 6-8 awards per summer.
- Selection criteria include:
- Academic excellence
- Demonstrated commitment to East Asia, and to incorporating it in one's long-term academic or professional career goals
- Recipients of the award must report to the Weatherhead East Asian Institute any additional funds, such as another grant, that they receive in support of the same activities. The total amount of funding received for the project must not exceed the limits dictated by the student's school. Should a student receive multiple sources of funding for the same project, the WEAI will adjust or withdraw the amount granted to the student so as to remain below the cap dictated by the student's school.
- Apply through the undergraduate college or school in which you are matriculated (see below)
- Submit the following application materials:
- Basic Application
- one to two-page description of the proposed project
- detailed project budget
- official Columbia University transcript
- one letter of recommendation from a Columbia/Barnard faculty member or instructor
- if the project is an internship, a letter from the host organization confirming the internship
General questions on the Weatherhead Undergraduate Training Grant should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org at the Weatherhead East Asian Institute.