Chem G8313y 2001
Readings and Problem Set 2
To be discussed Friday, February 2, 2001
For each of the problems (1-7), suggest:
- a radical pair or a diradical intermediate that is expected to result from a primary photochemical process;
- an elementary step or series of elementary steps that lead to the indicated product;
- whether you expect the product shown to be a major product or a minor product;
- in any cases where you believe the product shown to be a minor product, the structure of what you believe the structure of the major product to be;
- in any cases where you believe the product shown to be the major product, the structure of a minor or side product.
Readings that will be helpful in doing the problem set:
- Chapter 13 of MMP. Sections 13.1-13.3 (pgs. 526-540)
- Chapter 7 of Gilbert and Baggott. Sections 7.1 and 7.2 (pgs. 287-301)
For reviews of radical chemistry, see one or several of the following books (they will be put on reserve in the Chemistry Library):
- D. C. Nonhebel and J. C. Walton, "Free Radical Chemistry", Cambridge Press,1972.
- W. J. leNoble, "Highlights of Organic Chemistry", Dekker, 1974, Ch. 18.
- N. S. Issacs, "Reactive Intermediates in Organic Chemistry", Wiley, 1974, Ch. 5.
- T. H. Lowry and K. S. Richardson, "Mechanism and Theory in Organic Chemistry", Harper and Row, 3rd Edition, 1987, Ch. 9.
- F.A. Carey and R.J. Sundberg, "Advanced Organic Chemistry," 3rd Ed., 1990, Part A: Structure & Mechanisms, Chapter 12.