of the National Consortium for Teaching about Asia (NCTA)
Field Study Opportunity in East Asia
For NCTA Alumni in the states of:
Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Mississippi, Nevada, New Jersey, New York (lower), North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas
Itinerary & Dates
China and Japan : June 29 – July 16, 2014
Tokyo, Nara, Kyoto, Osaka,Beijing, Taiyuan, Pingyao, Xi'an, Shanghai
Cost ($2000 check and $150 in cash for tip fund to be collected at Departure Orientation)
Study Tour Goals
The goal of the Study Tour experience is to provide individual educators with professional development opportunities that will help expand their understanding of East Asia. As a professional development opportunity for educators, the Study Tour is designed to provide a pivotal experience. It is the culmination of a period of classroom study (NCTA seminar or NCTA online offering) during which educators have acquired new professional expertise on East Asia. The Study Tour provides them with a practical experience helpful in utilizing this new expertise. The Study Tour will prepare educators to strengthen curriculum on East Asia in their school districts.
Study Tour Prerequisites
- A total of 30 hours in NCTA-sponsored professional development programs; these can be face-to-face seminars and workshops in their state, on-line 30-hour courses, on-line mini-courses, on-line simulcasts, or any combination thereof.
- Taught full-time for two years.
- Currently teaching or supervising curriculum areas with significant Asia content.
- Plan to teach or supervise full-time for the academic year following the Study Tour.
- If you have traveled previously on a NCTA Study Tour, you are NOT eligible to apply in 2014.
February 7, 2014
Please type all information directly into the forms and print them out in triplicate to submit your application.
The deadline for receipt of the completed application, delivered by post mail, is Friday, February 7, 2014. Applications sent by fax or email will not be accepted.
Applicants must submit their completed applications, by post mail and in triplicate,
by the February 7, 2014, deadline, to
EITHER » the applicant's state NCTA office (see NCTAsia.org)
OR » Karen Kane, Weatherhead East Asian Institute, Columbia University
420 West 118th Street, Mail Code 3333, New York, NY 10027.