The Reconstruction of Taian
The original Taian was built between 1582 and 1583, over 400 years ago.
Recently, Nakamura Toshinori reconstructed the Taian at the Daitokuji Temple. The
Taian was reconstructed according to an account left by Sen no Rikyu’s
disciple, Yamanoue Sojiki. Although it is called the "Two mat tearoom for
Reagent Hideyoshi," it is quite evident that the structure is the Taian.
(The image on the right is the record left by Yamanoue Sojiki) The
reconstruction discovered that the Myokian Temple was not the original
location of the Taian. Taian was originally built within Hideyoshi’s castle
in Yamazaki. The original plan left by Yamanoue Sojiki also provides evidence
that the Taian was altered from its original plan. The
present Taian has a dobisashi, extended eaves, instead of the original
tsubo-no-utchi. The tsubo-no-utchi was a walled-in space outside the nijirguchi,
which served as a passageway between the outside world and the tearoom.
(The image to the left is the tsubo-no-utchi recontructed at the Daitokuji
Temple) The reconstruction also discovered the various methods used
in the original Taian, to make space represent wabi. The carpenters of
the time altered the Taian’s interior walls by blackening them with soot.
The wood was also stained in persimmon juice or perilla oil. The major
discovery during the reconstruction of the Taian, was the Korean influence.
The reconstruction of the Taian teahouse was beneficial in both learning
more about the teahouse itself, and also the cultural influences of Japan
at that time.
Table of Contents