The RED FORT in *SHAHJAHANABAD* (now "Old Delhi"), 1638-c.1648
The Red Fort in artists' and engravers' eyes; and two maps of the structures in the fort
The Red Fort-- a few photographs; its walls (*ANU*) are 45 feet wide at the base, tapering to 30 feet at the top
The Red Fort's main gate is the Lahori Gate, at the east end of Chandni Chauk
Inside the Lahori Gate is a long covered bazaar (*ANU*), and then comes the Naqqar-Khanah, or "drum-house" (*ANU*)
The Red Fort's Delhi Gate faces south, toward the ruins of the *old cities of Delhi*
The Divan-e 'Am, or Hall of Public Audience; see also *ANU*
Some early drawings of the Divan-e Khas, or Hall of Private Audience-- where the Peacock Throne used to be
The Divan-e Khas in early photos
Some modern photos of the Divan-e Khas; see also *ANU*
The Khvabgah ("sleeping chamber"), part of Shah Jahan's private quarters in the Khas Mahal, had a beautifully worked "screen of justice"
Through the Rang Mahal, part of the royal ladies' apartments, flowed a water-channel called the "Stream of Paradise"
The gorgeous little "Moti Masjid" was added by Aurangzeb
After the Rebellion, the Red Fort was thoroughly devastated by soldiers and looters; many of its buildings were demolished, and British troops were quartered in it

 == INDIAN ROUTES index == sitemap == Glossary == FWP's main page ==