I have the pleasure of working with some fantastic students at Columbia. If you are interested in becoming a student, please apply here.
Harsh Sheth (co-advised with Vineet Goyal)
Yeqing Zhou, 2021, Assistant Professor at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), School of Industrial Engineering & Innovation Sciences
Ryan McNellis, 2019, Machine Learning Scientist at Amazon
Yunjie Sun, 2019, Senior Data Scientist at Tripadvisor
Michael Hamilton, 2019, Assistant Professor at University of Pittsburgh, Katz Graduate School of Business
Queuing Safely for Elevator Systems amidst a Pandemic, with Sai Mali Ananthanarayanan, Charles C. Branas, Clifford Stein, and Yeqing Zhou
Major revision in Production and Operations Management. [animation] [code]
• Accepted to The 1st ACM Conference on Equity and Access in Algorithms, Mechanisms, and Optimization (EAAMO), 2021.
The Value of Flexibility from Opaque Selling, with David D. Yao and Yeqing Zhou
Major revision in Management Science.
Price Discrimination with Fairness Constraints, with Maxime C. Cohen and Xiao Lei
Minor revision in Management Science. [code]
• Accepted to The 4th ACM Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (FAccT), 2021.
• Oral presentation at The 4th Workshop on Mechanism Design for Social Good (MD4SG), 2020.
Generalization Bounds in the Predict-then-Optimize Framework, with Othman El Balghiti, Paul Grigas, and Ambuj Tewari
• Accepted to Neural Information Processing Systems 32 (NeurIPS), 2019.
Retailing with Opaque Products, with Yehua Wei and Yeqing Zhou
Major revision in Manufacturing & Service Operations Management.
The Value of Personalized Pricing, with Vishal Gupta and Michael L. Hamilton
Management Science, forthcoming. [code]
• Finalist, INFORMS Best Cluster Paper Award in Service Science, 2018.
• Accepted in The 15th Conference on Web and Internet Economics (WINE), 2019.
Static Pricing: Universal Guarantees for Reusable Resources, with Omar Besbes and Yunjie Sun
Operations Research, forthcoming. [talk]
• Accepted in The 20th ACM Conference on Economics and Computation (EC), 2019.
• Finalist (part 1 of 2), INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing (RMP) Practice Award, 2019.
Loot Box Pricing and Design, with Ningyuan Chen, Michael L. Hamilton, and Xiao Lei
Management Science, 2021. [talk by Xiao]
• Accepted in The 21st ACM Conference on Economics and Computation (EC), 2020.
• Invited to present at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), 2019.
• 1st place for Xiao Lei, INFORMS IBM Best Student Paper Award in Service Science, 2019.
The Power of Opaque Products in Pricing, with Michael L. Hamilton
Management Science, 2021.
• Accepted in The 13th Conference on Web and Internet Economics (WINE), 2017.
Decision Trees for Decision-Making under the Predict-then-Optimize Framework, with Jason C. N. Liang and Ryan McNellis
Proceedings of the 37th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), 2020. [code]
Pricing Analytics for Rotable Spare Parts, with Omar Besbes and Yunjie Sun
INFORMS Journal on Applied Analytics, 2020. [talk]
• Finalist, Daniel H. Wagner Prize for Excellence in Operations Research Practice, 2019.
• Finalist (part 2 of 2), INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing (RMP) Practice Award, 2019.
A Practical Method for Solving Contextual Bandit Problems Using Decision Trees, with Ryan McNellis, Sechan Oh, and Marek Petrik
Proceedings of the 33rd Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI), 2017. .
• Invited for oral presentation (top 10% of submissions).
Supply Chain Management with Online Customer Selection, with Retsef Levi
Operations Research, 2016.
The Submodular Joint Replenishment Problem, with Maurice Cheung, Retsef Levi, and David B. Shmoys
Mathematical Programming, 2016.
From Cost Sharing Mechanisms to Online Selection Problems, with Retsef Levi
Mathematics of Operations Research, 2015.
• INFORMS President's Pick for October 2015.
Maximizing the Spread of Cascades Using Network Design, with Daniel Sheldon, Bistra Dilkina, Ryan Finseth, Ashish Sabharwal, Jon Conrad, Carla Gomes, David Shmoys, William Allen, Ole Amundsen, William Vaughan
Proceedings of the 26th Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI), 2010. .
• Invited for oral presentation (top 12% of submissions).
From Random Polygon to Ellipse: An Eigenanalysis, with Charles F. Van Loan
SIAM Review, 2010. [demo by Jason Davies]
• Charles F. Van Loan selected this work as the subject for his 2018 John von Neumann Lecture.
Determining feature importance and target population in the context of promotion recommendation, with Markus R. Ettl, Sechan Oh, Marek Petrik, and Rajesh K. Ravi. US Patent 10546320, 2020 (granted).
Segmentation based estimation method for demand models under censored data, with Markus R. Ettl, Sechan Oh, Marek Petrik, and Rajesh K. Ravi. US Patent 2018/0060885 (published).
Revenue management using dynamic customer selection, with Roger Lederman. US Patent 2017/0358001 (published).
Training a machine to dynamically determine and communicate customized, product-dependent promotions with no or limited historical data over a network, with Markus R. Ettl, Sechan Oh, Marek Petrik, and Rajesh K. Ravi. US Patent 2017/0046732 (published).
IEOR 4418, Transportation Analytics and Logistics (B.S./M.S.), Fall 2016, Spring 2018-2022
IEOR 4650, Business Analytics (B.S.), Spring 2016-2018, 2021-2022
IEOR 4650, Business Analytics (M.S.), Spring 2016-2018, 2019 (x2), Fall 2020
IEOR 8100, Supply Chain Management: Classics and Recent Trends (Ph.D.), Spring 2016
IEOR 8100, Contextual Optimization for Prescriptive Analytics (Ph.D.), Fall 2019