Josefov - The Jewish Quarter
Within Josefov you will find a community that for centuries was forced to fend for itself and then experienced horrific purges under Nazi occupation in World War II. Although more than 118,000 Jews were recorded as living in the Czech lands of Bohemia and Moravia in 1939, only 30,000 survived to see the end of the Nazi occupation.
Josefov's synagogues are lovingly regarded as monuments to the survival of Judaism in central Europe, and the Old Jewish Cemetery, with generations buried one upon another, is an odd relic of the cohesion of Prague's ghetto. Most of the historic buildings in Josefov were destroyed. Today there are upscale clothing stores and coffee shops lining Pařizká Street, which is the main avenue on the eastern edge of Josefov.
The Jewish Museum in Prague is an organizaton which manages six of the most historic sites in Josefov:
The Old-New Synagogue is another historic site in the Jewish Quarter. It was built in early Gothic style around the middle of the 13th century. Originally called the New Synagogue to distinguish it from an older house of prayer which is no longer standing. Now it is known as the Old-New Synagogue.