- "Ratio Analysis and Equity Valuation: From Research to Practice" (with Stephen H. Penman), Review of Accounting Studies 6, 109-154 (2001).
- "Dividend Changes and Future Profitability"(with Amir Ziv), Journal
of Finance 56, 2111-2134 (2001).
"Equity Valuation Using Multiples" (with Jing Liu and Jacob Thomas), Journal of Accounting Research 40, 135-172 (2002).
of the Debt-Tax Shield" (with Deen Kemsley), Journal of
Finance 57, 2045-2074 (2002).
of the Role of Volatility in Forecasting," Review of Accounting
Studies 7, 217-227 (2002).
of Banks' Fair Value Disclosure for Loans," Review of Quantitative
Finance and Accounting 20, 355-384 (2003).
Issue Costs and Issue Characteristics in the Market for U.S. Dollar
Denominated International Bonds" (with Arie Melnik), European
Finance Review 7, 277-296 (2003).
- Financial Statement
Analysis of Leverage and How It Informs About Profitability and Price-to-Book
Ratios(with Stephen Penman), Review of Accounting Studies
8, 531-560 (2003).
- "Discussion of
Reactions to Dividend Changes Conditional on Earnings Quality,"
Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance , 153-161 (Winter
- The Association between
Changes in Interest Rates, Earnings and Equity Values
(with Stephen Penman), Contemporary Accounting Research 20, 775-804
- Taxable Income,
Future Earnings, and Equity Values (with Baruch Lev), The
Accounting Review 79(4), 1039-1074 (October 2004).
Costs in the Eurobond Market: The Effects of Market Integration”
(with Arie Melnik), Journal of Banking and Finance 30, 157-177
Persistence of the Accruals Anomaly" (with Baruch Lev), Contemporary
Accounting Research 23(1), 193-226 (2006).
Cash Flow King in Valuations?" (with Jing Liu and Jacob Thomas), Financial Analysts Journal 63(2), 56-68 (2007).
Discretion and the Economic Determinants of the Disclosed Volatility Parameter for Valuing ESOs" (with Eli
Bartov and Partha Mohanram), Review of Accounting Studies 12(1), 155-179 (2007).
Value Accounting in the Banking Industry” (coordinated by
Stephen Penman), Center for Excellence in Accounting and Security Analysis
- "Is Cash Really King in Valuations, or Do Earnings Trump all?" Columbia Business School Ideas @ Work (August 2007).
the Informational Usefulness of R&D Capitalization and Amortization”
(with Baruch Lev and Jacob Thomas), in Visualising Intangibles:
Measuring and Reporting in the Knowledge Economy, Chapter 5, 97-128,
Ashgate Publishing (2008).
- “Principles for the Application of Fair Value Accounting” (with Stephen
Penman), Center for Excellence in Accounting and Security Analysis (2008).
- "Using Fair Value Accounting, Fairly" (with Stephen Penman), Columbia Business School Ideas @ Work (April 2008)
- "Line-Item Analysis of Earnings Quality" (with Nahum Melumad),
in Foundations and Trends in Accounting 3(2-3) 87-221 (2009).
- “ModelWare’s Approach to Intrinsic Value: Focusing on Risk-Reward Trade-offs” (with Trevor Harris and Juliet Estridge),
in Equity Valuation: Models from Leading Investment Banks, edited by Jan Viebig, Thorsten Poddig and Armin Varmaz, Part IV, 193-252,
Wiley Publishing (2009).
- "Analysis and Valuation of Insurance Companies,"
Center for Excellence in Accounting and Security Analysis (2010).
- "Valuing Insurance Companies", Columbia Business School Ideas @ Work (March 2012)
- "Accounting and Systemic Risk" (with Trevor Harris and Robert Herz), Columbia Business School Ideas @ Work (April 2012)
- "Relative Valuation of U.S. Insurance Companies,"
Review of Accounting Studies 18(2) (2013).
"Accounting's Role in the Reporting, Creation, and Avoidance of Systemic Risk in Financial Institutions" (with Trevor Harris and Robert Herz), in
Handbook of Systemic Risk, Chapter 32, 912-959 (2013).
- "Implied Cost of Equity Capital in the U.S. Insurance Industry,"
Journal of Financial Perspectives (2013).
Please see vitae
- "R&D Costs and Accounting Profits" (with Jacob Thomas), Columbia University (2000).
- "Institutional Ownership, Cost of Capital, and Corporate Investment" (with Baruch Lev), Columbia University (2003).
- "Fair Value Accounting and Its Application to Financial Institutions" (with Stephen Penman), monograph prepared at the request of Morgan Stanley (2003).
- "Personal Dividends and Capital Gains Taxes: Further Examination of the Signaling Bang for the Buck" (with Deen Kemsley and Michael Williams),
Columbia University (2004).
- "Convergence Trends for Profitability and Payouts" (with Trevor Harris), Columbia University (2004).
- "The Information Content of Dividend Decreases: Earnings or Risk News?" Columbia University (2005).
- "The Differential Value Implications of the Profitability and Investment Components of Earnings" (with Trevor Harris),
Columbia University (2006).
- "Activity-based Valuation of Bank Holding Companies" (with Charles Calomiris),
NBER Working Paper 12918 (2007).
- "Accounting for Marketing Activities: Implications for Marketing Research and Practice" (with Natalie Mizik),
Marketing Science Institute Working Paper Series 11-103 (2011).