The "Misses Rager" are advertised as dressmakers.
Frederick Post, 18 May 1912:
"The Maryland Girls' Club was called to order
by the vice-president, Lenore Rager ... the following program was
rendered: reading, Lenore Rager".
The Frederick Post, Monday December 2, 1912, p.3:
Rufus A. Rager Dies of
Was Surveyor of Frederick County Sixteen Years and Founded King David
Mr. Rufus A. Rager, for 16 years County Surveyor, died last evening at 6.40
o'clock, of paralysis, aged 63 years, 5 months, and 10 days. ¶
On November 8,
Mr. Rager sustained a stroke of paralysis and for about a week was in a
semi-conscious state at his home on West Fourth Street. He rallied from
this stroke slightly but for a short time. ¶ He was born in Downsville,
Washington County, May 20, 1849. He was educated in the public schools of
that county and studied surveying under a private tutor. He was a member of
11 fraternal organizations, and most prominently identified with the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He instituted the King David Lodge, No.50,
of this city and attained the [illegible] degree, being a member of Canton
No.3, of the Patriarchs Militant and a member of the Ohio Masonic Order.
For the past twenty years, with the exception of the last two terms, he had
been surveyor of Frederick County. ¶ He married Miss Loretta Boyer, of
near Myersville, in 1881, who survives, together with six dauthers and two
sons: Mr. Arthur B. Rager, of Hagerstown; Isaac M. Rager, Mrs. H.C. Edmonds,
Mrs. Hamilton Geisbert, Miss Alice I., Bessie I., Eloise E., Lenore S., all
of Frederick. ¶ The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon, the
services being conducted by King David Lodge.
The Frederick Post, 13 Nov 1912:
Rager, who was paralyzed last Saturday evening, is rapidly failing. He has
been unconscious since he sustained the stroke."
The Frederick Daily News, Monday 2 Dec 1912, p.4:
"END CAME PEACEFULLY
Mr. Rufus A. Rager, former country surveyor, died last
evening at 6.35 o'clock, at his home on West Forth Street, aged 63 years.
Mr. Rager suffered a stroke of paralysis just three weeks ago, and at the
time he was critically ill. He rallied, however, and was able to converse
with his family and many friends. He gradually grew worse and lapsed into
unconsciousness several days ago, and passed peacefully away last evening.
Previous to his last illness Mr. Rager has been a sufferer from rheumatism
for the past two years, and upon several occasions was confined to the
Mr. Rager was a son of the
late Rufus and Lydia Suman Rager and was born in Downsville, Wasthington
County, on March 20, 1849. He was reared on a farm and received his
eduction in public schools. While a young man, he devoted himself to books
and periodicals, and acquired considerable knowledge by his constant reading
and study. At the age of seventeen he decided to become a civil engineer
and at once began studying to to fit himself for his life's work. While a
young man he resided for a number of years with his uncle, Gen. Isaac Suman,
at Valpariso, Ind. He later returned to this city, where he has since
resided. He was at one time employed at the Cambrill steam mill. ¶
Mr. Rager was a very competent surveyor, and many farms throughout this and
adjoinging counties have been surveyed under his direction. He was
connected with the office of county surveyor for a period of about twelve
years or more. In January, 1894, he qualified as deputy surveyor, having
been appointed by the county surveyor, Edwards Albaugh. He served in
that capacity under the several terms of Mr. Albaugh, and in 1902, was
elected to the office as county surveyor, succeeding James W. Troxell,
Democrat. He was re-elected in 1904, and also in 1906. In 1908 he was
defeated for the nomination by Emory C. Crum, the present incumbent.
During his term of office he proved a very faithful official, and by his
genial disposition and affable manner, won many friends throughout this
and adjoining counties. He also has served in the capacity of city
commissioner for the municipal authorities and did some considerable
engineeing for the city.
[Sections about membership in fraternal orders and patriotic
On June 9, 1881, Mr. Rager was married to Miss Loretta Boyer, of Middletown
Valley, and he is survived by his widow and eight children: Mr. Arther
B. Rager, of Hagerstown; Mrs. Harry C. Edmunds, Mrs. Hamilton Geisbert
and Misses Alice L., Bessie I., Eloise and Leonora [sic] Rager of this
city. He is also survived by his one brother, Mr. A. Scott Rager, this
city, and four sisters, Mrs. T.O. Cord, of Glassboro, N.J.; Mrs. Temple
Mason and Mrs. Edward Hoffman, of Front Royal, Va., and Miss Alice
Rager, of Baltimore.
The funeral will take place tomorrow.
The Frederick Post, 3 Dec 1912:
"Rufus A. Rager.
The funeral of the late Rufus A. Rager took place from the residence, Market
and Fourth Streets, this afternoon at 2.30 o'clock. The services were
conducted by King David Lodge, No.50, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of
which Mr. Rager was the founder." [and then it lists the pallbearers, who
are all lodge members.]
A 3 Dec 1912 article in the Frederick News
mentions that he was a former
director of the United Steam Fire Engine Company (Frederick's volunteer fire
The News 6 Dec 1912 (less than a week after Rufus died):
"Mr. Isaac Maynard
Rager, who has been spending some time at his home in this city, has gone to
Philadelphia, and after spending a few days there, will go to Tucson,
Arizona, where he will accept a position on the ranch of William F. Cody
The Frederick News, 3 Apr 1913, p.4:
"Many In New Homes / Removals in
City during the Past Few Days. Mrs. R.A. Rager from West Fourth to
North Market Street."
The Frederick News, 19 Apr 1913, p.2:
"Mr. Harry M Rager, aged 28 years, son
of Mrs. Lauretta and the late Rufus A. Rager, died this morning at 4 o'clock
at this home 324 North Market Street. Mr Rager was a tailor by trade trade
and worked in a number of cities. He traveled with Pawnee Bill's Wild West
Shows and for a while he conducted an art tailoring establishment in this
city, but gave it up on account of his health. Besides his mother, he is
survived by the following brother and sisters: Mrs. Harry Edmonds, Mrs
Hamilton Geisbert, and Misses Alice, Bessie, Louise, and Lenora [sic] Rager,
this city, and Mr. Arthur B. Rager, of Hagerstown.
The News, 10 July 1913:
"Mrs. R.A. Rager and daughters have removed from 324
to 340 North Market Street."
The Frederick Maryland News, Monday 8 Oct 1923, p.5:
Mrs. Susan L. Rager. Mrs. Susan L. Rager, widow of Rufus A. Rager,
formerly of this city, died on Saturday [October 6] morning at her home,
1031 Harlem Avenue, Baltimore, aged 68 years. She leaves a son,
William Rager and four daughers, Mrs. Harry Edmonds, this city; Mrs Hamilton
Geisbert, Hoods Mills; Louise, and Bessie Rager, Baltimore. The body was
brought to this city this morning and was taken to the chapel at Mt. Olivet
Cemetery, where funeral services were held at 2 o'clock. Interment in the
family lot. Thomas P. Rice, funeral director.
The Frederick Maryland News, Tuesday 9 Oct 1923, p.5:
"The funeral of
Mrs. Susan F. Rager took place on Monday a 2 o'clock. Services were held at
Mt. Olivet cemetery chapel. Rev. Dr. U.S.G. Rupp officiated. [The
pallbearers, all from the lodge, are listed.]
Mon Jul 16 20:48:35 2018