Publications in English
- “When Parties Meet Voters: Partisan Networks and Distributive Expectations in Argentina and Chile” (with Ernesto Calvo), Comparative Political Studies (forthcoming 2013).
- “Agency Under Constraint: Ideological preferences and the politics of electricity regulation in Latin America” (with Cecilia Martinez-Gallardo) Regulation and Governance, Vol. 5, No.3 (2011).
- "Electoral Revolution or Democratic Alternation?" (with Virginia Oliveros and Milan Vaishnav) Latin American Research Review Vol.45, No.3 (2010).
- "Variation in Institutional Strength" (with Steven Levitsky) Annual Review of Political Science Vol. 12 (2009), 115-133
- "From Kirchner to Kirchner" Journal of Democracy Vol 19. No.2 (April 2008), 16-30, reprinted in Larry Diamond, Marc Plattner and Diego Abente Brun (eds) Latin American Struggles for Democracy (National Endowment for Democracy-Johns Hopkins University Press, 2009).
- "Political Competition and Policy Adoption: Market Reforms in Latin American Public Utilities" (with Cecilia Martínez Gallardo) American Journal of Political Science Vol. 51, No. 1 (January 2007), 120-139.
- "Crisis and Policymaking in Latin America: the Case of Chile's 1998-99 Electricity Crisis" (with Carmen Le Foulon), World Development Vol. 34, No. 9 (September 2006), 1580-1596.
- "Partisanship Amidst Convergence: Labor Market Reforms in Latin America", Comparative Politics Vol. 37, No. 4 (July 2005), 441-458.
- "With a Little Help from my Friends: External and Domestic Allies and Labor
Rights in Latin America" (with Andrew Schrank), Comparative Political
Studies Vol. 38, No. 8 (October 2005), 971-999.
- "Who Delivers? Partisan Clients in the Argentine Electoral Market" (with
Ernesto Calvo) American Journal of Political Science Vol. 48, No. 4 (October 2004), 742-757.
Winner of the Luebbert Award (CP-APSA).
Strikes in Argentina: Partisan Alignments and Public Sector Labor
Relations" (with Lucas Ronconi), Studies in Comparative International
Development, Vol. 39, No. 1 (Spring 2004), 77-98.
Weathers the Storm" (with Steven Levitsky)", Journal of Democracy,
Vol. 14, No. 4, (October 2003),152-166.
- "Decentralization in Argentina" (with Nadir Habibi,
Cindy Huang, Diego Miranda, Gustav Ranis, Mainak Sarkar and Frances
Steward), Journal of Human Development Vol. 4, No. 1 (March 2003),
- "Political Bias
in Policy Convergence. Privatization Choices in Latin America" World
Politics Vol. 54, No.4 (July 2002), 462-493.
- "From Populism to
Neoliberalism: Labor Unions and Market Reforms in Latin America", World
Politics Vol .52, No. 2 (January 2000), 135-174.
- "Recovering Political Dynamics:
Teachers' Unions and the Decentralization of Education in Argentina and
Mexico", Journal of Inter-American Studies and World Affairs, Vol.
41, No. 1, (Spring 1999), 31-57.
- "The 1993
Argentine Elections" (with Ernesto Cabrera) in Electoral Studies,
Vol. 13, No. 2, (1994), 150-156.
- "From What to Get to How to Get It: Partisan Linkages and Social Policy Delivery in Argentina and Chile"(with Ernesto Calvo) in D. Abente Brun and L.Diamond (eds.) Political Clientelism, Social Policy, and the Quality of Democracy (Johns Hopkins University Press, forthcoming).
- "Latin American Labor Reforms: Evaluating Risk and Security." (with Lucas Ronconi and Andrew Schrank) Forthcoming in José Antonio Ocampo and Jaime Ros, eds., The Oxford Handbook of Latin American Economics. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011). Originally prepared for the United Nations Development Program.
- "Voting for the Left or Governing on the Left?" (with Virginia Oliveros and Milan Vaishnav) in Steven Levitsky and Kenneth Roberts (eds) Latin American Left Turn (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2011).
- "Labor Organizations and Their Role in the Era of Political and Economic Reform" (with Andrew Schrank) in Carlos Scartascini, Ernesto Stein and Mariano Tommasi (eds.) How Democracy Works. Political Institutions, Actors, and Arenas in Latin American Policymaking (Inter-American Development Bank & David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies at Harvard University, 2010). Originally prepared for the Inter-American Development Bank.
- "A New Law of Argentine Politics" (with Ernesto Calvo) in Steven Levitsky and Maria Victoria Murillo (eds) Argentine Democracy: the Politics of Institutional Weakness (Pennsylvania State University Press, 2005).
- "Introduction"(with Steven Levitsky) in Steven Levitsky and Maria Victoria Murillo (eds.) Argentine Democracy: the Politics of Institutional Weakness, (Pennsylvania State University Press, 2005).
- "Building Castles in the Sand? The Politics of Institutional Weakness in Argentina" (with Steven Levitsky) in Steven Levitsky and Maria Victoria Murillo (eds.) Argentine Democracy: the Politics of Institutional Weakness, (Pennsylvania State University Press, 2005).
- "Theory Building in a Context of Institutional Instability" (with Steve Levitsky) in Steven Levitsky and Maria Victoria Murillo (eds.) Argentine Democracy: the Politics of Institutional Weakness, (Pennsylvania State University Press, 2005).
- "The Economic Effects of Unions in Latin America: Teachers’ Unions and Education in Argentina"(with Mariano Tommasi, Lucas Ronconi, and Juan Sanguinetti) in Peter Kuhn and Gustavo Márquez (eds.) What Difference Do Unions Make?, (Washington DC: Inter-American Development Bank, 2005.) Originally prepared for the Inter-American Development Bank.
- "Latin American Labor at the Cross-Roads" in Jorge I. Domínguez and Michael Shifter (eds) Democratic Governance in Latin America and the Caribbean (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2003).
- "Industrial Competition and Union Responses to Macro-Economic and Sector-Specific Adjustment in Mexico" in Christopher Candland and Rudra Sil (eds). Industrial Relations in the Age of Globalization, (Oxford University Press, 2001).
- "Union Politics, Market-Oriented Reforms and the Reshaping of Argentine Corporatism" in Douglas Chalmers et al. (eds.), The New Politics of Inequality in Latin America: Rethinking Participation and Representation, (Oxford University Press, 1997).
- "A Strained Alliance: Continuity and Change in Mexican Labor Politics," in Monica Serrano ed. Mexico: Assessing Neo-Liberal Reform (Institute of Latin American Studies, University of London, 1997).
- "Tax Evasion and the Rule of the Law In Latin America" by Marcelo Bergman in Political Science Quarterly Vol. 126/1 (Spring 2011).
- "The Politics of Freeing Markets in Latin America. Chile, Argentina, and Mexico" by Judith Teichman in Journal of Latin America Studies Vol. 35, No.1 (February 2003).
- "Mandates and Democracy" by Susan Stokes, Studies in Comparative International Development Vol 37, No.3 (Fall 2002).
- "Privatization South American Style" by Luigi Manzetti, APSR, Vol. 95, No.1 (March 2001.)
- "Organizing Dissent: Unions, the State, and the Democratic Teachers’ Movement in Mexico" by Maria Lorena Cook, Journal of Latin American Studies, Vol. 51 (1999.)
- "Heroic Defeats: The Politics of Job Loss" by Miriam Golden, APSA-Comparative Politics. Newsletter of the APSA organized section in Comparative Politics, Vol. 9, No.1 (Winter 1998.)