News & Resources
"Peace From the Inside Out," Room for Debate, New York Times, November 2012
"The Only Way to Help Congo,” Op-Ed, International Herald Tribune, 23 June 2012
"The Continuing Trouble With the Congo," African Arguments, July 2012
Miller Forum: Restraining the Toll of War and Violence (February 2013)
WorldFocus News: Interview about Hilary Clinton's Visit to the Congo (August 2009)
Radio Télévision National Congolaise News (September 2010)
The World (BBC / PRI, UK and USA), Invité Afrique (RFI, France), Rear Vision (ABC, Australia), Invité Afrique (RFI, France), Outlook (Voice of Russia, USA / Russia), WFPL (USA), RTBF's Afrik'hebdo (January 2010); BBC and PRI How we got here (November 2010); BBC news (November 2010); Radio France International (August 2010); Worldstream talk show on BlogTalkRadio (April 2009); Worldfocus talk show on BlogTalkRadio (December 2008); WKCR show (November 2008)
Newspapers & Magazines
Quoted in CBC News (Canada); Christianity Today (USA); Consilience (USA); Mediapart (France); Grotius (France); The Guardian (United Kingdom); All Africa (USA), The Courier-Journal (USA), UN News, Christian Science Monitor (USA), Pravda (Slovak Republic), Foreign Policy Blog (USA), The Politics (USA), Valeurs Actuelles (France), El Nacional (Venezuela), El Mercurio (Chile), Expresso (Portugal), the Washington Post (USA) ; Barnard Bulletin (USA), Newsweek (USA), Reliefweb (UN), the Columbia Political Review (USA), Ethics Daily (USA), Inter Press Service News Agency (Italy), The Columbia Spectator (USA) and The Eye (USA).
Blogs, Youtube, etc
Discussion of the book on various blogs: Foreign Policy (Walt's blog and David Bosco's blog), Texas in Africa, in part reposted in Andrew Sullivan's The Daily Dish, Chris Blattman's blog with my my response here and a comment afterwards from the Enough Project, another blog post from the Enough Project. A couple of years later, my guest blog post in African Arguments.
Presentation of the book at the Great Decision lecture series in Western Michigan, at a workshop in Madrid (with translation in Spanish) and in Stockholm. Panels on the Congo and on the book at Yale University, Columbia University; panels on the Congo and on the book at the United States Institute of Peace.
Grawemeyer award and African Affairs article featured in hundreds of news sources (just google the titles)
A very helpful researcher's guide to Bunia, Beni, and Butembo in northeastern Congo (on doing research, security, where to stay, and how to get there and away), compiled by Dan Fahey:http://nature.berkeley.edu/societyandenvironment/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/NE-Congo-guide-Sept-2010.pdf
- International Crisis Group - policy analysis on the Congo crisis
- Enough - advocacy project on the Congo
- Reliefweb - humanitarian news
- MONUC - official website of the UN peacekeeping mission in the Congo
- Digital Congo - daily compilation of newspaper articles published in Kinshasa... very biased!
- Colette Braeckman's blog - "Le Carnet de Colette Braeckman", articles de journaux en Francais
- Texas in Africa - news and analysis on Africa
- Congo Siasa - news and analysis on the Congo
- Action Against Hunger - emergency aid (nutrition, food security, water and sanitation)
- Doctors Without Borders - emergency aid (mostly medical)
- Life and Peace Institute - one of the only organizations doing local conflict resolution in the eastern Congo!
- Barnard College
- Political Science Department at Barnard College
- Columbia University
- Institute of African Studies at Columbia University
- Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies
- African Studies Association
- International Studies Associations
- American Political Science Association
- United States Institute of Peace
- Inter-University Consortium on Security and Humanitarian Action
- Fulbright program
- Consilience: The Journal of Sustainable Development
- Nicole's painting - Artwork by a fantastic Belgian artist!
- The Hunger Site - By clicking on this link, you make a donation to selected food charities. At the top of the page, you will see tabs where you can click to make a donation to various other causes (breast cancer, children’s health, world literacy, animal rescue, and rainforest)
- The Girl Effect
Back to home page