Networking > Apartments >
Apple Airport Express Setup
Apple Airport Express 802.11n
- To set up and configure your AirPort Express for wireless networking
and Internet access, use the AirPort Setup Assistant for Mac OS X, or
the AirPort Express Assistant for Windows XP. (The assistant is installed on
your computer when you install the software on the AirPort Express CD. You
can also download it from
- After unpacking your Airport Express, connect the ethernet cable from
your jack to the ethernet port on the Airport Express. Plug the AC adapter
into an electrical outlet.
- Make sure the wireless card on your computer is enabled and turned on.
Connect to the Apple Airport Express, which will most likely appear as
Apple Network followed by some letters.
- Open the AirPort Setup Assistant, located in Applications/Utilities
on a Macintosh, or the AirPort Express Assistant, located in Start >
All Programs > AirPort on a computer using Windows XP. Follow the
onscreen instructions to configure and share Internet access on your
- If the Setup Assistant tells you to upgrade to a newer version of
the firmware, you should do so, and then click Continue.
- Enter a Base Station Name and Password, then click Continue. Write
these names down for future reference.
- Select "I do not have a wireless network and would like to create one" and click Continue.
- Select WPA2 Personal security on the next screen, then enter a Wireless
Network Name and Password and Verify it. This password must be between 8 and
63 characters. You should write this password down and keep it near your
Airport Express in case you forget it. Click Continue.
- Select "I connect to the Internet with a DSL or cable modem using
DHCP". Leave the default settings (Using DHCP) and click Continue.
- The next screen will review your setup information.Click Update. Your
Airport Express station has been configured and will now restart.
Quit the Airport Utility and connect to your new wireless network.
If you are interested in connecting USB peripherals to your Airport,
consult your manual for additional information. Otherwise leave the
default settings and click Continue.