Civil Engineering &
624 S.W. Mudd
500 West 120th Street
New York, NY 10027-6699
Phone: (212) 851-0408
Fax: (212) 854 -6267
Email: waisman@civil. columbia.edu
|Ph.D||Civil & Environmental Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2005|
|M.Sc||Aerospace Engineering, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, 2002|
|B.Sc||Aerospace Engineering, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, 1999|
My research interests are in computational solid and fracture mechanics with a special interest in extended finite element methods (XFEM) which allows one to model discontinuities without re-meshing the computational domain. I am also interested in damage mechanics, phase field and cohesive zone methods. Additional interest include: shear band and other instabilities in solids, multicale/multigrid techniques, contact mechanics, time integration, optimization and inverse problems in mechanics, scientific/parallel computing and continuum mechanics.
- (May 2016) Congratulations to Miguel Arriaga and Juan Londono for recieving teaching assistanship recognitions.
- (May 2016) Miguel Arriaga wins the 2016 Mindlin Award for the most outstanding PhD thesis in the department. Well done Miguel !
- (March 2016) Congratulations to Miguel Arriaga for being selected as finalist in the Melosh medal competition in finite element methods, to be held in April 2016 in Duke University.
- (September 2015) The Computational Mechanics group welcomes Dr. Bingbing San (Hohai University, China), Dr. Jingjing He (Beihang University, China) and PhD student Xiaocui Chen (Hohai University, China), as visiting scholars in the lab. They will stay one year and conduct research in Computational Fracture Mechanics.
- (July 2015) Luc Berger-Vergiat successfully defends his thesis. Congratulations to Luc for very nice work !
Luc will continue in the group as a postdoctoral fellow.
- (June 2015) Congratulations to Colin McAuliffe who is now a research scientist at Multiscale Design Systems, which is now part of the Altair software company !
- (May 2015) Mostafa Mobasher wins travel award to the Engineering Mechanics Institute conference (EMI2015) and Yongxiang Wang wins travel award to the US National Congress on Computational Mechanics (USNCCM13). Congratulations to both !
- (April 2015) Kai James, a postdoc in the group has accepted an Assistant Professor position at the University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign and will start in August. Congratulations Kai !
- (April 2015) Prasenjit Khanikar, a postdoc in the group will begin as Assistant Professor at the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India. Congratulations Prasenjit !
- (August 2014) Miguel Arriaga and Hao Sun win awards in student poster competition at the Engineering Mechanics Institute conference at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario Canada. (link)
- (May 2014) Colin McAuliffe wins the 2014 Mindlin Award for the most outstanding PhD thesis in the department.
- (Feb. 2014) Prof. Waisman wins the 2014 Leonardo da Vinci Award from the Engineering Mechanics Institute of ASCE. (link)