Civil Engineering &
624 S.W. Mudd
500 West 120th Street
New York, NY 10027-6699
Phone: (212) 851-0408
Fax: (212) 854 -6267
Email: waisman@civil. columbia.edu
|Ph.D||Civil & Environmental Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2005|
|M.Sc||Aerospace Engineering, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, 2002|
|B.Sc||Aerospace Engineering, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, 1999|
My research interests are in computational solid and fracture mechanics with a special interest in extended finite element methods (XFEM) which allows one to model discontinuities without re-meshing the computational domain. I am also interested in developing novel multicale/multigrid techniques aimed at bridging the length and time scales to better understand material behavior from discrete (the nano scale) to continuum (the macro scale). Additional interest include: composite materials, shear band instabilities, continuum mechanics, geometric and material nonlinearities, contact mechanics, time integration, optimization and inverse problems in mechanics, scientific and parallel computing and molecular dynamics.
- (June 2015) Congratulations to Colin McAuliffe who is now a research scientist at Multiscale Design Systems, which is now part of the Altair software company !
- (May 2015) Mostafa Mobasher wins travel award to the Engineering Mechanics Institute conference (EMI2015) and Yongxiang Wang wins travel award to the US National Congress on Computational Mechanics (USNCCM13). Congratulations to both !
- (April 2015) Kai James, a postdoc in the group has accepted an Assistant Professor position at the University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign and will start in August. Congratulations Kai !
- (April 2015) Prasenjit Khanikar, a postdoc in the group will begin as Assistant Professor at the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India. Congratulations Prasenjit !
- (Oct. 2014) Yihong Wang, a visiting PhD student from Tianjin University (China) will spend one year at Columbia University working on fracture problems with XFEM. Welcome Yihong !
- (Sep. 2014) Jie Wu, a visiting PhD student from Tongji University (China) will spend two years at Columbia University working with the CM group. Welcome Jie !
- (Sep. 2014) Molly Van Doren, a new MS/PhD presidential student, joins the CM group. Welcome Molly !
- (August 2014) Mostafa Mobasher is a new PhD student that joins the Computational Mechanics group. Mostafa will be a Teaching Assistant during the academic year. Welcome Mostafa!
- (August 2014) Miguel Arriaga and Hao Sun win awards in student poster competition at the Engineering Mechanics Institute conference at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario Canada. (link)
- (May 2014) Colin McAuliffe wins the 2014 Mindlin Award for the most outstanding PhD thesis in the department.
- (Feb. 2014) Prof. Waisman wins the 2014 Leonardo da Vinci Award from the Engineering Mechanics Institute of ASCE. (link)