Developed in 1931 by Columbia-educated Walter S. Lemmon, president of Radio Industries Corporation in New York City, the Radiotype transmits text messages from one electric typewriter to another via shortwave radio, and was widely used by the US Army Signal Corps during World War II. The photo shows the component parts. Top: Copy holder, transmitting typewriter, auto-tape perforator, control panel, receiving typewriter, clock counter. Bottom: Automatic tape reader, tape winder, Morse keys. Source: .