Mon Jul 27 12:27:54 2015
I've been laid off! My last day was June 30th, 2011, and then I spent the
next 3 months cleaning up after myself:
[ Columbia 1968 ]
[ International Postal Addressing ]
[ UTF-8 Sampler ]
[ Running in Upper Manhattan ]
New May 2015:
Berlin 1961-62 photo gallery
The Kermit Project
- New (October 2013) at the
Computer History Museum:
Project Oral History Panel (Jeffrey Altman, Bill Catchings, Frank da Cruz)
Kermit Oral History (Joe Doupnik)
Project Document Archive (16 boxes of fun)
- The New Open Source Kermit Project (2011-present)
- Home page: http://www.kermitproject.org
What Is Kermit?:
C-Kermit for Unix and VMS:
Kermit 95 for Windows:
E-Kermit for embedding:
- The Original Kermit Project - Columbia University (1981-2011)
- Note: This site was frozen by Columbia U in 2011.
Home page: http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/
Complete software archive:
Brief history: http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/dec20.html#kermit
Columbia University Computing History
- History of Computing at Columbia University (1879-2005)
- Computing at Columbia (Columbia
- Wallace Eckert, Computer Pioneer (Columbia 250)
- The DECSYSTEM-20 at Columbia University (1977-1988)
- Watson Lab Conduit Trenching (May 1985)
Other Computing Topics
- MM: The 1980s-era email client that I still use (and maintain) (2006-present)
- What Is a Terminal?
- Safe Network Computing - Windows Desktop (2001)
- Programming Language Survey (1980)
- New Deal Projects in New York City (2012-present)
(gallery of New Deal Projects in the Bronx)
(table of New Deal projects in the Bronx)
(Riverside Park New Deal Tour)
(Central Park New Deal Tour)
(notable New Deal projects in NYC)
(table of Parks Department New Deal projects in all NYC)
- Bronx Photos (2012-present)
- Oval Park, the Bronx (2012-present)
- Bronx Day Parade
- University Food Market (1957-2003)
- http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/ufm.html/ (English)
- La Rosita (December 2006)
- Upper Manhattan Running Zone (May 2006)
- Columbia University Photos (April 2002)
- Columbia Area Photos (December 2002)
- Columbia Area Photos (September 2012)
Countries, Languages, Character Sets
- Frank's Compulsive Guide to Postal Addresses (1988-present)
- UTF-8 Sampler (text in many languages) (2000-present)
- Say PEACE In All Languages! (March-April 2003)
- Table of HTML symbolic character entities
- Representing Middle English Manuscripts on the Web with UTF-8 (August 2002)
- Interchange of Non-English Computer Text (1994)
- Frankfurt American High School, Army-brat history from the 1950s and 60s
- Berlin 1959 Gallery
- Berlin 1961-62 Gallery
- Messerschmitt Kabinenroller (und andere Kleinwagen) (1954)
- BMW R-26 (1956)
- Color photos of Chesterbrook, Virginia, 1950-55 (2014)
Note: I'm a Viet-Nam era veteran as well as an Army brat, and
both my parents were World War II veterans.
The following are hopelessly out of date, all links in them expired, etc.
- Columbia University 1968 (the student uprising)
- Don't Trust Anyone Under 50! (Columbia
- ˇNo confies en nadie menor de 50!
[ Proyecto Yano ]
- Election 2010
- Election 2008
- Election 2006
- To My Republican Friends (Election 2004)
- The Kermit File Transfer Protocol (with Bill Catchings), BYTE
Magazine, June and July 1984.
A File Transfer Protocol, Digital Press (1987), 379pp;
with Foreword by Donald Knuth. In print for 14 years.
- "Using C-Kermit" (with C. Gianone), Digital Press (1992), 514pp,
also published in a German edition by Verlag Heinz Heise, Hanover.
C-Kermit (with C. Gianone), 2nd Ed, Digital Press (1997), 622pp.
- Kermit 95 (with C. Gianone), Manning Publications (1996), 88pp.
Reissued periodically in updated
- Internet RFC 2839 (with J. Altman), May 2000.
- Internet RFC 2840 (with J. Altman), May 2000.
- “Circumnavigating the Web with MS-DOS Kermit”,
On The Internet, Internet Society, Vol.1 No.2 (May/June 1995),
- A series of articles in McGraw-Hill Data Communications magazine
(with C. Gianone), 1987-88.
- Forewords and Prefaces in various data communication and networking books,
The Matrix, and listed in the acknowledgements of many
others (e.g. McNamara's
Technical Aspects of Data Communications).
- Various articles in
Kermit News, the journal of the Kermit Project, 1986-93.
- "Columbia 1968", Columbia Librarian, V.XXVII, 1-2, Fall-Winter 1999,
and on the Web at
- "Columbia University Computing History", IEEE Annals of the History of
Computing, V24#2, April-June 2002 (Abstract) and on the Web at
- What's The Difference?, with Charles Harris, Reading is
- A photo credit in the book
Mitte und die Welt – wie sie einmal war 1914-1989,
P.J. Ortmann (self-published 2009).
- A photo credit in the book John Lennon: All I Want Is the Truth by Elizabeth Partridge (2005).
- A photo credit in Fortune Magazine, China edition, August 2001.
- Pictured on front page of ComputerWorld, July 4, 2005, quoted in
article about companies that don't stop using older computers just
because they went out of style.
- Feature article in
Frankfurter Neue Presse, 22 July 2006:
"Warum Frank aus N.Y. nicht von Frankfurt lassen kann" by Inga Schulze
- Milestones in the Annals of Junkmail (July 2002)
- No Wax Please!
Frank da Cruz / email@example.com