10/2010. The Real Estate Record was digitized from volumes in Columbia University Libraries, from microfilm and original copies, as wel as from volumes made available by New York Historical Society.
The digitized run includes all available public domain content, from Volume 1 (published in 1868) to Volume 110 (published in 1922). A total of over 112,500 pages were scanned.
Scanning of most of the printed volumes was carried out by the Internet Archive, the remainder in-house at Columbia. Scanning of the microfilm copies was done by OCLC Preservation Resources, now Backstage Library Works. Those volumes digitized by Internet Archive (IA) are also available through its interface. (Browse volumes present on IA.)
The name of the publication varied through this run as follows:
Page images were processed using the Abbyy FineReader OCR (optical character recognition) software to generate seachable text for all volumes using Abbyy FineReader. All volumes are fully searchable, though the quality of the OCR-generated text varies depending on the condition and quality of the original printed volumes.
The search system provides browsing by volume or searching by keyword. Proximity searching has been implemented that approximates searching for names or addresses within within subsections of the guide including: alterations, conveyances, foreclosures, judgments, leases, mortgages, new buildings, sales.
[From v.31 (1883)]
"The following Index of the Conveyances and New Buildings for New York City and Kings County, as published in the Real Estate Record during the first six months of 1883, will be found of great utility and value by those of our readers who have preserved all the copies of this paper during that period.
Great care has been observed to keep the Index up to the same perfect standard as in the past. The pages are given on which all transfers of realty can immediately be found, and the streets and avenues are subdivided so tbat very few references are required; for instance, transfers of property on Allen street appear in eight numbers during the six months, which in the Index are sub-divided into three parts of the street, so that the least possible trouble need be incurred, a transfer being found by referring to but two or three pages, provided it is known between what streets the property is located.
The Projected Buildings are indexed in a similar manner, enabling all to readily ascertain on what streets improvements have been made. Those desirous of keeping a permanent file for reference should see that all the numbers are complete, and have them bound. A suitable binder can be had at the office of the Record and Guide, 191 Broadway, corner of Dey street, price one dollar."
The project was initiated in 2009 at the request of Andrew Dolkart, Director of the Historic Preservation Program and the James Marston Fitch Associate Professor of Historic Preservation. It was launched in Fall 2010.