Student Travel Grants
ACM SIGACT is providing funds (currently estimated at $25,000) to support student registration, travel, and accommodation for STOC 2014.
These travel awards are for students who are short on funds and are intended to help cover their registration, travel, and accomodation expenses. An advisor may nominate at most two students for a travel award. To apply for a travel award, email the information listed below to:
firstname.lastname@example.org by April 21, 2014.
Late applications will not be accepted. You will be notified about your status by April 26 which is prior to the STOC early registration deadline.
To apply you must
- Send an email with the following items:
- Your university, academic standing, academic interests, expected graduation date, expected degree, and advisor.
- Your estimated expenses in US dollars:
- A US dollar estimate of the airfare/transportion cost to the conference.
- The number of nights you will need hotel accommodation. Hotel expenses will be limited to half the cost of a hotel room per night at conference rates. Students are encouraged to share rooms.
- Whether you need support for your conference registration. Registration expenses will be limited to the student early registration fee.
- Other travel funds that are available to you. If you are already receiving support for a co-located conference, please let us know that as well.
- Indicate whether you have received a travel award to attend FOCS or STOC in the recent past.
- Write a brief statement (no more than half a page) saying how you will benefit from attending the conference.
- SIGACT encourages applications from members of underrepresented
groups for these awards.
(Optional:) Please indicate if you are a member of such a group, or are at an institution that is not typically represented at STOC.
- Have your advisor send a support letter, which also describes the availability of other travel funds. This should be sent with subject line "support letter for [your name]". This is very important. Your application is not complete without this letter.
Notes: Receipts will be required for all travel awards, and reimbursements will be made after the conference. Food or visa expenses will not be reimbursed. It is expected that total reimbursement will be limited to a maximum of registration + $750 for those from North America and a maximum of registration + $1000 for those from overseas.