- The Birth of Chinese Feminism: Essential Texts in Transnational Theory. Co-edited with Rebecca Karl and Dorothy Ko. New York: Columbia University Press, 2013.
- The Freudian Robot: Digital Media and the Future of the Unconscious. University of Chicago Press, 2010.
- The Clash of Empires: The Invention of China in Modern World Making. Harvard University Press, 2004. (Paperback edition 2006)(Chinese edition)
- Translingual Practice: Literature, National Culture, and Translated Modernity-China 1900-1937. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1995.(Chinese edition)
- Tokens of Exchange: The Problem of Translation in Global Circulations. Edited volume. Duke University Press, 1999.
- Writing and Materiality in China. Co-edited with Judith Zeilin. Cambridge: Harvard University Asia Center, 2003.
- Bearers of the Lamp (in Chinese). Edited volume. Hong Kong: Oxford University Press, 2001. (reissued by the Guangxi Normal University Press in China in spring 2009).
- Cross-Writing: Critical Perspectives on Narratives of Modern Intellectual History (in Chinese). Hong Kong: Tiandi Publishing House, 1997. Reprint by Shanghai Salian, 2000.