Phase 2: December 2010
Accomplished complete rewrite of portal application Archival Collections Portal taking into account feedback from archivists, users (via
usability studies, desk reference exchanges, and feedback forms), and
technical staff, as well as the benefits of the CU LAMP platform. Includes significant enhancements, as follows:
- New technical platforms (Solr search engine with PHP interface)
provide significantly faster searching -- in some cases, measured
performance retrieval times are up to 10x faster than old portal.
- Relevancy-ranked results, as well as result sorting by creator, title, date
- Searching across collections using an "opt in" approach; archival collections searches can also now include oral history
- New Advanced Search features include searches by call number,
repository, title, subject, and creator
- New faceting field: Collections -- augments excellent overview of
search results while providing ability to narrow down by archival
- Direct access to finding aid from search results (for EAD finding aids only)
- Better "help" documentation
- New Google Sitemaps to allow for discovery in non-Columbia search
- New Oral History Portal, built on same platform, has same feature set where relevant.
Phase 3 - to come (2011) to include:
- Searching within and across finding aids; integrated searching of collection overviews and finding aids.
- Grouped search results by collection
- Highlighting of search term "hits" within finding aids
- Date searching and faceting