Course Reserves Submission Guidelines
When to Submit Where to Submit How to Submit Limitations
More information about: Books Course Packs E-Reserves & Photocopies
When to submit reserves lists and materials
Lists and materials submitted by these deadlines will be processed for the first days of classes:
During the semester, please submit lists and materials at least two weeks before the readings are assigned. Course Reserves requests are processed in the order they are received. Submitting all lists and materials at once is very helpful in terms of making materials available in a timely manner.
Where to submit reserves lists
Faculty can request items be placed on Course Reserves in person or by using the online request form. To identity which library handles your course reserves, please select from the list provided below. Questions can be directed to the Reserves Supervisor at the library where you submit your list.
How to submit reserves materials
(i.e., course packs, photocopies, personal copies of books, etc.)
You may deposit photocopies of articles or book chapters, your course pack, or personal copies directly to the appropriate reserves desk between the hours of 9 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday. Submitting all materials at once is very helpful in terms of making materials available in a timely manner.
Re-using a list from a previous semester
Lists used since Fall 2003 may be re-submitted for reserves. Please review the list via your CourseWorks page, and using the faculty request form, submit a reactivation request.
Please note: reserves lists are not reactivated automatically.
- Course Reserves requests must be in compliance with the United States Copyright Act of 1976, Section 107. Please consult the Columbia University Libraries Copyright Policy for full guidelines. Questions can be directed to the Reserves Supervisor at the library location handling your Course Reserves list.
- The libraries place on reserves only items that are required reading; recommended readings should not be requested for reserves.
- Textbooks will not be purchased for reserves use.
- Most reserves units will accept up to 25 items per list. Contact the reserves unit at the library where you submit your list for specific limits.
- Bound journals, reference and Butler Media Center materials will not be placed on reserves.