Columbia University - United Students of Color Council
A. The name of the organization shall be the United Students of Color Council, otherwise known as the USCC
A. The United Students of Color Council is an umbrella organization committed to the unification, empowerment, and full self-expression of organizations and individuals who identify themselves as people of color at Columbia University.
A. The officers of the USCC shall be:
(1) Executive Co-Chairs:
a. The two Executive Co-Chairs shall take the role of Internal and External Chair; the External Co-Chair shall work with the Events, Political, and Public Relations Chair to deal with issues and/or concerns outside of the USCC's Executive Board, while the Internal Co-Chair will work with Funding, Communications, and Website Chairs to facilitate intra-USCC logistics.
b. Shall preside over all meetings of the Executive Board, as well as all General Body meetings.
c. The Co-Chairs have one (1) voting seat on the Intercultural Resource Center (IRC) Advisory Board and have the responsibility of appointing one (1) other member of the USCC Executive Board to sit on the IRC Advisory Board. One Co-Chair must attend each meeting of the Advisory Board, although they may rotate and share the responsibilities their shared seat entails.
d. The Co-Chairs must draw up the agenda for each Executive and General Body meeting. The General Body meetings' agendas must be voted on by the Executive Board and submitted to the Communications Chair before each General Body meeting for the printing of the agenda.
e. Are empowered to sign all notes, warrants, and other orders for payment of monies drawn by the Funding Chair
f. Both officers shall serve as Public Relations persons for the Organization.
g. Assists the Campus Liaison in matters concerning the USCC, the Governing Boards, the Administration, and the Office of Student Development and Activities
h. Shall serve all notices of the USCC
i. During all votes of the USCC Executive Board, the External Co-Chair may vote like any other member of the USCC Executive Board. However, the Internal Co-Chair only votes in the case of ties.
j. Shall submit a monthly report to the Communications Chair
Each officer is required to assume the responsibilities of the other officers during a period of absence until the vacant office is filled by another USCC member. Both officers are responsible for answering any questions concerning the rules, by-laws, and Constitution.
The following Chairs are strongly encouraged to form committees and/or to take on Co-Chairs to assist them in their duties:
(2) Campus Liaison
a. Serves as a liaison between the USCC and the greater campus community
b. Oversees and schedules meetings with the Representatives Board
c. Collects, compiles, and analyzes Representative Updates and presents this report to the Executive Board at least twice a semester
d. Responsible for facilitating discussions between member groups and the Executive Board of the USCC.
e. Has a seat on the IRC Advisory Board
f. Presides over all proceedings of the USCC Representatives Board, but does not have a vote
g. Reports directly to both Executive Co-Chairs
h. Shall submit a monthly report to the Communications Chair
(3) Communications Chair
a. Is responsible for the taking of minutes at all meetings held within the organization and delivering them to the Website Chair
b. Collects monthly updates from all Executive Board members
c. Keeps an updated list of all student groups of color that fall under USCC's umbrella
d. Keeps attendance at all General Body and Executive Board meetings
e. Shall present to the Executive Board all communications addressed to the USCC
f. Is empowered to sign all notes or other orders for the payment of monies duly drawn by the Funding Chair, after having obtained consent from one of the Co-Chairs in conjunction with the Funding Chair
g. Serves on the Representatives Board as a representative from the USCC General Body
(4) Funding Chair
a. Shall have the care, custody, and responsibility of all funds and securities of the USCC. Shall keep or cause to be kept just and accurate records of cash, checks, and other financial material showing detailed accounts of all transactions.
b. Shall deposit or cause to be deposited to the credit of the USCC all monies belonging to the USCC. Such deposits are to be made in depositories as shall be designated from time to time by the USCC membership.
c. Manages requests for co-sponsorship via web and e-mails
d. Works with the USCC's representative from the Activities Board at Columbia
e. Shall submit a monthly report to the Communications Chair, including a detailed account of all fiscal activities for the month
(5) Events Chair
a. Shall handle the logistics of events sponsored and co-sponsored by the USCC
b. Is empowered to sign all notes or other orders for the payment of monies duly drawn by the Funding Chair, after having obtained consent from one of the Co-Chairs in conjunction with the Funding Chair
c. Shall compile and submit to the Webmaster the content of a Monthly Highlight newsletter of events held by students of color groups under the USCC umbrella
d. Shall submit a monthly report to the Communications Chair
(6) Public Relations Chair
a. Shall monitor and update all USCC publications.
b. Shall coordinate with all the other Chairs to assure proper advertising for all USCC events including but not limited to e-flyers and paper flyers
c. Shall be in charge of recruiting new student members to the USCC General Body
d. Shall be responsible for establishing and maintaining external relations with media, businesses, and alumni
e. Shall submit a monthly report to the Communications Chair
f. Public Relations protocol for USCC: The public relations chair, the external co-chair, or a delegate explicitly designated by those named above, shall be responsible for speaking to the media on all matters involving the USCC. Members of the executive board should direct all media inquiries to the public relations chair. The public relations chair shall maintain records of potential media issues, to be updated as USCC conducts business ("the Hot Sheet") to keep the executive board informed of possible media coverage. All persons shall retain
(7) Political Chair
a. Responsible for keeping the USCC informed on past and present political developments that may affect students of color. Responsible for submitting all press releases to the Website Chair
b. Shall develop programs of interest in varying media outlets in keeping with the "University Guidelines for Political Activity" and the "Rules of University Conduct"
c. Shall work closely with SPEAK and maintain relationships with any other campus advocacy groups as deemed necessary
d. Shall maintain the USCC archives as reported by the USCC
e. Shall submit a monthly report to the Communications Chair
(8) Website Chair (Webmaster) / Calendar Chair
a. Shall manage the USCC server and website to enhance communications with USCC membership
b. Creates and maintains tools for USCC, USCC committees, and USCC officers to manage and utilize various aspects of the website
c. Answers e-mails directed to the USCC Webmaster
d. Monitors the website for bandwidth problems, bad links, and inappropriate postings and implements any policies the USCC has established for its website (e.g. privacy and discussion forum policies)
e. Shall monitor website usage and make recommendations for keeping users' response times efficient
f. Shall post all printed releases and newsletters
g. Shall post committee updates and minutes of committee meetings
h. Shall post the USCC Constitution annually
i. Implements improvements to the website and server as the Executive Board sees fit
j. Shall prepare and submit a monthly report to the Communications Chair
C. All Executive Board members are required to attend all Executive Committee meetings, except the Website Chair. The Website Chair must attend the first and last meeting of the semester and all meetings called in emergency or deemed mandatory.
D. The Attendance Policy of the Executive Board of the United Students of Color Council shall be as follows:
(1) Three unexcused absences from Executive Board meetings shall result in Board censure, which can result in impeachment, if agreed by the Executive Board
(2) Two late arrivals to Executive Board Meetings shall be counted as one absence
(3) A grace period of 10 minutes shall be given at the beginning of each meeting, after which any arrivals will be marked late and those failing to arrive shall be marked absent, unless previously communicated and approved by one of the Executive Co-Chairs
(4) Attendance shall be recorded by the Communications Chair
E. The Executive Board has the power to decide as a collective to relieve any member of the Executive Board of his or her duties under the conditions of Article VII.
A. Membership is open to all undergraduates of the Columbia University system. Voting membership is limited to undergraduates registered in Columbia College, Barnard College, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, or the School of General Studies.
B. The Membership of the United Students of Color Council consists of the Executive Board, the General Body, and the Representatives Board.
(1) The voting membership of the USCC Executive Board will be comprised of the positions detailed in Article III.
(2) The voting membership of the USCC General Body will be comprised of those students who:
a. Provide basic information about themselves to the Communications Chair for the purpose of maintaining attendance
b. Regularly attend USCC General Body meetings or sit on a committee
(3) The voting membership of the USCC Representatives Board will be comprised of representatives approved in writing by the Executive Boards of member organizations under the USCC umbrella.
a. The Campus Liaison shall preside over the Representatives Board but shall not have a vote on the Board.
b. All proceedings of the Representatives Board shall follow "the Guidelines of the Representatives Board of the United Students of Color Council," a separate document from this Constitution.
C. Only voting members of the United Students of Color Council General Body or general body of a USCC member group will be entitled to hold offices in the Organization. All officers must be undergraduates in Columbia College, Barnard College, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, or the School of General Studies, and must have successfully completed one term of courses prior to assuming office.
D. All Executive Board meetings are open to the membership, except those specifically designated as "closed."
E. The Representatives Board may at any time or in any situation revoke, repeal, or otherwise reject or overrule any decision or act of the Executive Board or any decision or act of any of its officers by a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of a quorum (two-thirds) of the Representatives Board.
Additional Executive Board Members
A. The Executive Board has the option of adding the following elected member or any other position deemed necessary to the board in addition to those specified in Article III:
(1) First-Year Student Representative
a. Elected by first-year members
b. Voices the concerns of first-years and generates first-year interest in the USCC
A. The elections of this organization shall be held once an academic year, towards the end of each academic year before pre-calendaring.
B. The membership of the USCC General Body and the USCC Representatives Board shall be informed of all possible positions within the organization as well as the exact date of said elections.
C. Procedures for USCC elections shall be as follows:
(1) Any member of the USCC Executive Board, General Body, or Representatives Board may nominate a candidate for USCC elections.
(2) The candidate must be qualified to be a member of the USCC as specified under Article IV.
(3) All nominations will be voted on separately by the USCC General Body, Representatives Board, and Executive Board.
(4) The results of the General Body vote shall be tabulated and the Communications Chair must vote for the winners of the General Body election in his or her capacity as the Representative of the USCC General Body at the Representatives Board elections
(5) The votes of each USCC Executive Board officer and Representative to the Representatives Board shall count equally and the winners from this combined pool of votes shall take office the following year as the incoming USCC Executive Board. Note: the Communications Chair shall vote once in his or her capacity as a member of the Executive Board and once in his or her capacity as the Representative of the USCC General Body
D. Should a vacancy of any position on the Executive Board occur for any reason, the Executive Board maintains the right to either hold elections open to the membership of the USCC, or appoint a replacement Executive Board member with at least 75% agreement of the Executive Board.
A. Grounds for impeachment shall include serious abuse of membership privileges, neglect of the duties set forth in the USCC Constitution or deliberate violation of the USCC Constitution.
B. Impeachment proceedings may be initiated by any of the following methods:
(1) A motion passed by at least three-fourths (3/4) of the Executive Board
(2) A motion submitted by the Representatives Board
(3) A motion submitted by the General Body and affirmed by at least one Executive Board member (other than the Communications Chair)
(4) A request submitted in the form of a petition signed by one or more officers of no fewer than one-fifth (1/5) of all registered USCC groups
C. Following impeachment, the following procedure must be followed:
(1) A hearing must be scheduled and held with all members of the Executive Board and Representatives Board that are available. The Executive Co-Chairs shall preside over the impeachment hearing, except if one of the Executive Co-Chairs is under impeachment, in which case the other Executive Co-Chair shall be the sole presiding officer.
(2) Those who initiated the impeachment must present their case as to why the member should be removed from office.
(3) The member under impeachment shall have the opportunity to present a defense.
(4) After the hearing has taken place, the Executive Board and Representatives Board shall deliberate as they see fit and vote with each member of the Executive Board and Representatives Board having one equal vote. The Communications Chair shall vote only in his or her capacity as a member of the Executive Board and not as a Representative of the General Body to the Representatives Board. The member under impeachment is still entitled to a vote as an Executive Board officer or Representative.
(5) A simple majority is required to remove a Representative, while a two-thirds majority is required to remove an Executive Board member.
A. The Constitution must be reviewed every two years.
B. This Constitution may be altered, amended, repealed, or otherwise changed by a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of a quorum (2/3) of the Executive Board at the meeting following a proposed change, or, if necessary, a special meeting called for such a purpose.
A. The USCC is an advocacy group for students of color, not specifically for sexual orientation, gender, or religious issues, but only as they pertain to students of color.B. The USCC does not and will not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, or ethnicity.
|Site Designed by United Students of Color Council|
|Co-Designed and Mantained by Armando Ramirez|
|For Problems or questions regarding this site, contact the Webmaster|
|Copyright 2005. United Students of Color Council. All rights reserved. Page last updated March 21, 2005|