- "Self-, Peer- and Teacher Perceptions under School Tracking," joint with Ofer Malamud, Andreea Mitrut and Miguel Urquiola.
- "Male Circumcision, Peer Effects, and Risk Compensation," joint with Hyuncheol Bryant Kim, Booyuel Kim and Jaehyun Jung.
- "Evaluating Ex Ante Counterfactual Predictions Using Ex Post Causal Inference," joint with Michael Gechter, Cyrus Samii and Rajeev Dehejia.
- "Interactions Between Family and School Environments: Access to Abortion and Selective Schools," joint with Leonard Goff, Ofer Malamud and Miguel Urquiola (conditionally accepted at Journal of Human Resources).
- "Why do households leave school value added “on the table”? The roles of information and preferences," joint with Robert Ainsworth, Rajeev Dehejia and Miguel Urquiola (conditionally accepted at American Economic Review).
- "The Effect of Fertility on Mothers’ Labor Supply over the Last Two Centuries," joint with Daniel Aaronson, Rajeev Dehejia, Andrew Jordan, Cyrus Samii, and Karl Schulze (The Economic Journal, 2020).
- "From Local to Global: External Validity in a Fertility Natural Experiment,"
joint with Rajeev Dehejia and Cyrus Samii (Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, 39(1) 2021).
Research featured on IGC Blog
- "Local Instruments, Global Extrapolation: External Validity of the Labor Supply - Fertility - Local Average Treatment Effect,"
joint with James Bisbee, Rajeev Dehejia and Cyrus Samii (Journal of Labor Economics, 35(S1), S99-S147, 2017).
Education and fertility
- "The Impact of Abortion on Crime and Crime-Related Behavior," joint with Randi Hjalmarsson and Andreea Mitrut. (Journal of Public Economics 200, 2021).
- "The Effect of Education on Mortality and Health: Evidence from a Schooling Expansion in Romania," joint with Ofer Malamud and Andreea Mitrut (Journal Human Resources, 2021).
- "Parental Monitoring and Children's Internet Use: The Role of Information, Control, and Cues," joint with Francisco Gallego and Ofer Malamud (Journal of Public Economics 188, 2020).
- "The Role of Education Interventions in Improving Economic Rationality,"
joint with Hyuncheol Bryant Kim, Syngjoo Choi and Booyuel Kim (Science 362(6410), 83-86, 2018).
- "Going to a Better School: Effects and Behavioral Responses,"
joint with Miguel Urquiola (American Economic Review 103(4), 2013).
Tracking and Access to Higher Education Among Disadvantaged Groups,"
joint with Ofer Malamud (Journal of Public Economics 95(11-12), 2011).
- "Home Computer Use and the Development of Human Capital," joint with Ofer Malamud (Quarterly Journal of Economics 126(2), 2011).
Research featured in Slate , the New
York Times and Gandul
- "General Education versus Vocational Training: Evidence from an Economy in Transition," joint with Ofer Malamud (Review of
Economics and Statistics 92(1),2010).
- "The Supply of Birth Control Methods, Education and Fertility: Evidence from Romania"
(Journal of Human Resources 45(4),2010).
Research featured in Freakonomics
- "The Impact of a Change in Abortion Regime on Socio-Economic Outcomes of Children: Evidence from Romania" (Journal of Political Economy 114(4),
Research featured in Freakonomics and The Economist
Health - HIV/AIDS
- "The Effect of Absenteeism and Clinic Protocol on Health Outcomes: The Case of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV in Kenya," joint with Markus
Goldstein, Josh Graff Zivin, Harsha Thirumurthy and James Habyarimana (American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 5(2), 2013).
- "The Effects of Home-Based HIV Counseling and Testing on HIV/AIDS Stigma among Individuals and Community Leaders in Western Kenya: Evidence from a Cluster-Randomized Trial," Low C, Pop-Eleches C, Rono W, Plous E, Ndege S, Goldstein M, Thirumurthy H (AIDS Care 25: S1, 2013).
- "Differences between self-reported and electronically monitored adherence among patients receiving antiretroviral therapy in a resource-limited setting," Thirumurthy, H, Siripong N, Vreeman R, Pop-Eleches C, Habyarimana J, Sidle J, Siika A, Bangsberg D (AIDS 26(18), 2012).
- "Behavioral responses of patients in AIDS treatment programs: sexual behavior in Kenya," joint with Markus Goldstein,
Josh Graff Zivin, James Habyarimana and Harsha Thirumurthy (Forum for Health Economics & Policy 15(2), 2012).
- "Mobile phone technologies improve adherence to antiretroviral treatment in resource-limited settings: a randomized controlled trial of text message reminders," Pop-Eleches C, Thirumurthy H, Habyarmina J, Graff Zivin J, Goldstein M, DeWalque D, MacKeen L, Haberer J, Sidle J, Ngare D, Bangsberg D (AIDS 25(6), 2011).
- "The Impact of HIV/AIDS and ARV Treatment on Worker Absenteeism: Implications for African Firms," joint with
Bekezela Mbakile and James Habyarimana (Journal of Human Resources 45(4),2010).
- "Targeted Government Spending and Political Preferences,"
joint with Grigore Pop-Eleches (Quarterly Journal of Political Science 7(30), 2012).
- "Electronic Filing, Tax Preparers, and Participation in the Earned Income Tax Credit," joint with Wojciech Kopczuk (Journal of Public Economics 91(7-8),
- "Judicial Checks and Balances," joint with Rafael La Porta, Florencio López-de-Silanes, and Andrei Shleifer
(Journal of Political Economy 112(2), 2004).