Frankfurt/Main Aerial and Historical Views - Photo #55 - Frankfurt/Main bombing and ruins

Photo:  Armin Schmid, Frankfurt im Feuersturm, Verlag Frankfurter Bücher (1965).

Verpflegung von Bombengeschädigten am Fahrtor / Caring for bombed-out people at the Fahrtor, an area of Frankfurt named after a gate in the old Frankfurt defensive city wall. The Fahrtor was built in 1456-60 and torn down in 1840. After that, "Fahrtor" was the name used for the spot where it had stood, near the Alte Nikolaikirche, just south of the Römer, and about 300m to the WSW of the Dom.