There are several skills and
types of knowledge with which a student in the Invasion Biology course must
Students will be evaluated by class participation (10% of overall grade), performance facilitating 2 discussions (20%), a problem set (15%) , one mid-length (5 - 7 pages) review paper (15%), an Introduced Species Summary Report (15%), and a final exam (25%).
- Facilitating two discussions of a current paper
- Participating in the in-class hands-on activities (e.g., discussion of papers, computer activities).
- A 6-question problem set on some of the models used in invasion biology
- A mid-length (5 - 7 page) paper that compares a successful with an unsuccessful species of your choice. These two species will ideally be closely related to each other and be ecological correlates, using whatever set of parameters that you wish to use.
- Creating an Introduced Species Summary Report webpage
- A take-home final exam (3 pages) that integrates the course material
Students will be assigned grades on a straight scale (90-100 A, 80-89 B, 70-79 C, 60-69 D, 59 and below failing).