Dr. James E. Hansen
Dr. Hansen periodically posts commentary on his recent papers and presentations and on other topics of interest to an e-mail list and to the CSAS blog. To receive announcements of new postings, please click here.
- May 19, 2016: Spurring State Action: Massachusetts & New Jersey
- May 16, 2016: Canadian Common Sense: Petition #e297.
- May 2, 2016: Remarks at Berkshire Hathaway Shareholder Meeting: Suggestion for Mr. Buffett.
- April 27, 2016: Mr. Buffett's Ark: An Open Letter.
- April 15, 2016: Hypocrites Unite: AGU and ExxonMobil.
- March 2016: Video discussion for "Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms" (ACP)
- March 2016: Video abstract for "Regional Climate Change and National Responsibilities" (ERL)
"Storms of My Grandchildren", by James Hansen
On the webpage "Updating the Climate Science: What Path is the Real World Following?", Drs. Makiko Sato and James Hansen update figures in the book Storms of My Grandchildren (see LA Times review) and present updated graphs and discussion of key quantities that help provide understanding of how climate change is developing and how effective or ineffective global actions are in affecting climate forcings and future climate change. A few errata in Storms are also provided.
- February 29, 2012:
Why I Must Speak Out About Climate Change:
Presentation given at TED 2012 at Long Beach, California.
+ Download PDF, retouched (6 MB)
+ Download PPTX, retouched (6 MB)
+ TED video
+ YouTube video
Near Future Presentations
- April 21 (Thurs.): Energy and Climate Change: How Can Justice Be Achieved for Young People? The Center for Civic Leadership 2016 Keynote Address at Benedictine University, Goodwin Hall auditorium, 7:00 PM - 9:30 PM.
- December 2015:
Climate Change and Energy: How Can Justice Be Achieved for Young People and Nature?:
Presentation given in Beijing, China on Dec. 22
+ Download PDF (5.0 MB)
- February 2014:
Symposium on a New Type of Major Power Relationship:
Presentation given at Counsellors Office of the State Council, Beijing, China on Feb. 24.
+ Download PDF (4.1 MB)
- December 2013:
Minimizing Irreversible Impacts of Human-Made Climate Change:
Presentation given at AGU Fall Meeting on Dec. 12.
+ Download PDF (4.3 MB)
- September 2012:
A New Age of Risk:
Presentation given at Columbia University on Sep. 22.
+ Download PDF (2.1 MB)
+ Download PPT (2.5 MB)
Recent TV Appearance
in Recent News
Recent Scholarly Publications
- Taylor, L.L., J. Quirk, R.M.S. Thorley, P.A. Kharecha, J. Hansen, A. Ridgwell, M.R. Lomas, S.A. Banwart, D.J. Beerling, 2016: Enhanced weathering strategies for stabilizing climate and averting ocean acidification. Nature Climate Change, 6, 402-406. doi:10.1038/nclimate2882.
- Hansen, J., M. Sato, P. Hearty, R. Ruedy, et al., 2016: Ice melt, sea level rise and superstorms: evidence from paleoclimate data, climate modeling, and modern observations that 2°C global warming could be dangerousa Atmos. Chem. Phys., 16, 3761-3812. doi:10.5194/acp-16-3761-2016.
- Hansen, J. & M. Sato, 2016: Regional Climate Change and National Responsibilities Environ. Res. Lett. 11 034009 (9 pp.), doi:10.1088/1748-9326/11/3/034009.
- von Schuckmann, K., M.D. Palmer, K.E. Trenberth, A. Cazenave, D. Chambers, N. Champollion, J. Hansen, S.A. Josey, N. Loeb, P.-P. Mathieu, B. Meyssignac, M. Wild, 2016: a An imperative to monitor Earth's energy imbalance Nature Climate Change 6, 138-144, doi:10.1038/nclimate2876.
- Hansen, J., 2015: Environment and Development Challenges: The Imperative of a Carbon Fee and Dividend. The Oxford Handbook of the Macroeconomics of Global Warming, Eds. Lucas Bernard and Willi Semmler, Chapter 26, doi:10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199856978.013.0026.
Other Recent Publications
April 4, 2013: Keystone XL: The pipeline to disaster. Op-ed in the Los Angeles Times.
This page last updated Thursday, 19-May-2016 06:40:24 EDT