Dr. James E. Hansen
"Storms of My Grandchildren", by James Hansen
On the webpage "Updating the Climate Science: What Path is the Real World Following?", Drs. Makiko Sato and James Hansen update figures in the book Storms of My Grandchildren (see LA Times review) and present updated graphs and discussion of key quantities that help provide understanding of how climate change is developing and how effective or ineffective global actions are in affecting climate forcings and future climate change. A few errata in Storms are also provided.
Dr. Hansen periodically posts commentary on his recent papers and presentations and on other topics of interest to an e-mail list and to the CSAS blog. To receive announcements of new postings, please click here.
- November 27, 2015: Isolation of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue: Part I
- November 10, 2015: Carbon Fee & Dividend
- October 12, 2015: Revised version of September 21 "Predictions"
- September 21, 2015: Predictions Implicit in "Ice Melt" Paper and Global Implications
- August 28, 2015: Pennsylvania 5, Iowa 4:Caterpillar Report
- February 29, 2012:
Why I Must Speak Out About Climate Change:
Presentation given at TED 2012 at Long Beach, California.
+ Download PDF, retouched (6 MB)
+ Download PPTX, retouched (6 MB)
+ TED video
+ YouTube video
Near Future Presentations
- February 2014:
Symposium on a New Type of Major Power Relationship:
Presentation given at Counsellors Office of the State Council, Beijin, China on Feb. 24.
+ Download PDF (3.5 MB)
- December 2013:
Minimizing Irreversible Impacts of Human-Made Climate Change:
Presentation given at AGU Fall Meeting on Dec. 12.
+ Download PDF (4.3 MB)
- September 2012:
A New Age of Risk:
Presentation given at Columbia University on Sep. 22.
+ Download PDF (2.1 MB)
+ Download PPT (2.5 MB)
Recent TV Appearance
- July 26, 2015: 1 p.m. CNN's Fareed Zakaria GPS
- November 7, 2013: 11 p.m. Interview re nuclear power following 9 p.m. showing of Pandora's Promise.
in Recent News
- November 3, 2013: "Top climate scientists ask environmentalists to support nuclear power in climate battle" [Washington Post, originally from Associated Press]
Recent Scholarly Publications
- Hansen, J., M. Sato, P. Hearty, R. Ruedy, et al., 2015: Ice Melt, Sea Level Rise and Superstorms: Evidence from Paleoclimate Data, Climate Modeling, and Modern Observations that 2 C Global Warming is Highly Dangerous. Published in Atmos. Chem. & Phys. Discussions (July 23) and under review for the journal Atmos. Chem. & Phys.
- Hansen, J., 2015: Environment and Development Challenges: The Imperative of a Carbon Fee and Dividend. The Oxford Handbook of the Macroeconomics of Global Warming, Eds. Lucas Bernard and Willi Semmler, Chapter 26, doi:10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199856978.013.0026.
- Nazarenko, L., G.A. Schmidt, R.L. Miller, N. Tausnev, et al, 2015: Future climate change under RCP emission scenarios with GISS ModelE2. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., 7, no. 1, 244-267, doi:10.1002/2014MS000403.
- Hansen, J. 2014: The Energy to Fight Injustice. Chemistry World, 23 July 2014.
- Miller, R.L., G.A. Schmidt, L.S. Nazarenko, N. Tausnev, et al, 2014: CMIP5 historical simulations (1850-2012) with GISS ModelE2. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., 6, no. 2, 441-477, doi:10.1002/2013MS000266.
- Schmidt, G.A., M. Kelley, L. Nazarenko, R. Ruedy, et al, 2014: Configuration and assessment of the GISS ModelE2 contributions to the CMIP5 archive. J. Adv. Model. Earth Syst., 6, 141-184, doi:10.1002/2013MS000265.
- Hansen, J., P. Kharecha, M. Sato, V. Masson-Delmotte, et al., Assessing "Dangerous Climate Change": Required Reduction of Carbon Emissions to Protect Young People, Future Generations and Nature. PLOS ONE, 8, e81468.
- Hansen, J., M. Sato, G. Russell, and P. Kharecha, 2013: Climate sensitivity, sea level, and atmospheric carbon dioxide. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A, 371, 20120294, doi:10.1098/rsta.2012.0294.
Other Recent Publications
April 4, 2013: Keystone XL: The pipeline to disaster. Op-ed in the Los Angeles Times.
This page last updated Friday, 27-Nov-2015 10:09:16 EST