Dr. James E. Hansen
"Storms of My Grandchildren", by James Hansen
On the webpage "Updating the Climate Science: What Path is the Real World Following?", Drs. Makiko Sato and James Hansen update figures in the book Storms of My Grandchildren (see LA Times review) and present updated graphs and discussion of key quantities that help provide understanding of how climate change is developing and how effective or ineffective global actions are in affecting climate forcings and future climate change. A few errata in Storms are also provided.
Dr. Hansen periodically posts commentary on his recent papers and presentations and on other topics of interest to an e-mail list and to the CSAS blog. To receive announcements of new postings, please click here.
- October 20, 2014: Rain-Making and Benefunder.
- October 12, 2014: Iowa Roots: Speaking Truth to Power, published in Des Moines Register.
- October 4, 2014: Government's Duty.
- September 20, 2014: Speaking Truth to Power- and to Friends.
- September 16, 2014: Butterflies and Flamingos.
- February 29, 2012:
Why I Must Speak Out About Climate Change:
Presentation given at TED 2012 at Long Beach, California.
+ Download PDF, retouched (6 MB)
+ Download PPTX, retouched (6 MB)
+ TED video
+ YouTube video
Near Future Presentations
- October 15 (Wed.): "Climate Change: The Driver of Human and Planetary Health" at
Des Moines-Heartland Global Health Consoritum: Climate, Nutrition and Health. Parents Hall, Olmsted Center, Drake University. 1:20-2:30 p.m.
& "Tenant Farming to White House Arrests: A Scientist's Perspective on the Unfolding Climate Crisis and Opportunity". Sheslow Auditorium, Olmsted Center, Drake Univers ity. 4:30-6:00 p.m.
- October 16 (Thurs.): "Climate Change and Energy: A Global Perspective". Iowa City
- Renewable Energy Symposium, Iowa Memorial Union Main Lounge, Iowa City, Iow. 3:00-3:30
& "Speaking Truth to Power: Lessons from Iowa and Relevance to Global Climate Politics". Same place as above. 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- February 2014:
Symposium on a New Type of Major Power Relationship:
Presentation given at Counsellors Office of the State Council, Beijin, China on Feb. 24.
+ Download PDF (3.5 MB)
- December 2013:
Minimizing Irreversible Impacts of Human-Made Climate Change:
Presentation given at AGU Fall Meeting on Dec. 12.
+ Download PDF (4.3 MB)
- September 2012:
A New Age of Risk:
Presentation given at Columbia University on Sep. 22.
+ Download PDF (2.1 MB)
+ Download PPT (2.5 MB)
Recent TV Appearance
in Recent News
- November 3, 2013: "Top climate scientists ask environmentalists to support nuclear power in climate battle" [Washington Post, originally from Associated Press]
Recent Scholarly Publications
- Hansen, J., P. Kharecha, M. Sato, V. Masson-Delmotte, et al., Assessing "Dangerous Climate Change": Required Reduction of Carbon Emissions to Protect Young People, Future Generations and Nature. PLOS ONE, 8, e81468.
- Hansen, J., M. Sato, G. Russell, and P. Kharecha, 2013: Climate sensitivity, sea level, and atmospheric carbon dioxide. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A, 371, 20120294, doi:10.1098/rsta.2012.0294.
Other Recent Publications
April 4, 2013: Keystone XL: The pipeline to disaster. Op-ed in the Los Angeles Times.
This page last updated Monday, 20-Oct-2014 17:39:48 EDT