Dr. James E. Hansen
475 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10115 USA
"Storms of My Grandchildren", by James Hansen
On the webpage "Updating the Climate Science: What Path is the Real World Following?", Drs. Makiko Sato and James Hansen update figures in the book Storms of My Grandchildren (see LA Times review) and present updated graphs and discussion of key quantities that help provide understanding of how climate change is developing and how effective or ineffective global actions are in affecting climate forcings and future climate change. A few errata in Storms are also provided.
Near Future Presentations
- Apr. 10 (Thur): Tenant Farming to White House Arrests: A Scientific Perspective on the Unfolding Climate Crisis". Emily Asplundh Concert Hall, West Chester University, West Chester, PA, 7:30 p.m.
- Apr. 15 (Tues): "Can We Avert the Unfolding Climate Crisis?" to the wide MIT community (in the afternoon/early evening)
- Apr. 16 (Wed): "Ice Sheet Melt, Sea Level and Storms" to MIT Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Science Department, 4 p.m.
Dr. Hansen periodically posts commentary on his recent papers and presentations and on other topics of interest to an e-mail list. To receive announcements of new postings, please click here.
- Feb. 26, 2014: Beijing Charts: Charts shown at Symposium on a New Type of Major Power Relationship, organized by the Counsellors' Office of the State Council of the People's Republic of China and the Kissinger Institute on China and the United States.
- Feb. 21, 2014: Renewable Energy, Nuclear Power, and Galileo: Draft Opinion Piece, Criticisms Welcome.
- Feb. 18, 2014: Jim Hansen on Facebook: comments on new program at Columbia University.
- Jan. 31, 2014: Quest of a Broken-Wing Butterfly: letter to a grandchild.
- Jan. 21, 2014: Global Temperature Update Through 2013: A Discussion.
Recent Scholarly Publications
Hansen, J., P. Kharecha, M. Sato, V. Masson-Delmotte, et al., Assessing "Dangerous Climate Change": Required Reduction of Carbon Emissions to Protect Young People, Future Generations and Nature. PLOS ONE, 8, e81468.
Hansen, J., M. Sato, G. Russell, and P. Kharecha, 2013: Climate sensitivity, sea level, and atmospheric carbon dioxide. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A, 371, 20120294, doi:10.1098/rsta.2012.0294.
Other Recent Publications
Apr. 4, 2013: Keystone XL: The pipeline to disaster. Op-ed in the Los Angeles Times.
Symposium on a New Type of Major Power Relationship:
Presentation given at Counsellors Office of the State Council, Beijin, China on Feb. 24.
+ Download PDF (3.5 MB)
Minimizing Irreversible Impacts of Human-Made Climate Change:
Presentation given at AGU Fall Meeting on Dec. 12.
+ Download PDF (4.3 MB)
Recent TV Appearance
in Recent News
- Nov. 3, 2013: "Top climate scientists ask environmentalists to support nuclear power in climate battle" [Washington Post, originally from Associated Press]
This page last updated Sunday, 02-Mar-2014 13:59:30 EST