Dr. James E. Hansen
"Storms of My Grandchildren", by James Hansen
On the webpage "Updating the Climate Science: What Path is the Real World Following?", Drs. Makiko Sato and James Hansen update figures in the book Storms of My Grandchildren (see LA Times review) and present updated graphs and discussion of key quantities that help provide understanding of how climate change is developing and how effective or ineffective global actions are in affecting climate forcings and future climate change. A few errata in Storms are also provided.
Near Future Presentations
- Aug. 28 (Thurs.): "Speaking Truth to Power: A Scientist's View of the Climate Crisis", Humanists of Metro New York, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Sept. 17 (Wed.): Keynote "One Good Thing: Religions for a Strong Climate Treaty", Church Center, NYC, 10:45-11:30 a.m.
- Oct. 15 (Wed.): "Climate Change: The Driver of Human and Planetary Health" at Des Moines-Heartland Global Health Consoritum: Climate, Nutrition and Health. Parents Hall, Olmsted Center, Drake University. 1:20-2:30 p.m.
&"Tenant Farming to White House Arrests: A Scientist's Perspective on the Unfolding Climate Crisis and Opportunity". Sheslow Auditorium, Olmsted Center, Drake University. 7:00-8:30 p.m.
- Oct. 16 (Thurs.): "Climate Change and Energy: A Global Perspective". Iowa City - Renewable Energy Symposium, Iowa Memorial Union Main Lounge, Iowa City, Iow. 3:00-3:30 p.m.
&"Speaking Truth to Power: Lessons from Iowa and Relevance to Global Climate Politics". Same place as above. 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Dr. Hansen periodically posts commentary on his recent papers and presentations and on other topics of interest to an e-mail list. To receive announcements of new postings, please click here.
- August 20, 2014: The Energy to Fight Injustice: Opinion piece published in Chemistry World
- August 14, 2014: Jeremiah's Progeny: Our Dilemma.
- July 29, 2014: Facing Facebook: Australia's Cap-and-Tax: General response to comments on 24 July post.
- July 24, 2014: Cap-and-Tax versus Fee-and-Dividend: How can we communicate more clearly?
- July 17, 2014: Monarchs Return? First sighting of 2014. Uncertain prospects for recovery.
Recent Scholarly Publications
Hansen, J., P. Kharecha, M. Sato, V. Masson-Delmotte, et al., Assessing "Dangerous Climate Change": Required Reduction of Carbon Emissions to Protect Young People, Future Generations and Nature. PLOS ONE, 8, e81468.
Hansen, J., M. Sato, G. Russell, and P. Kharecha, 2013: Climate sensitivity, sea level, and atmospheric carbon dioxide. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A, 371, 20120294, doi:10.1098/rsta.2012.0294.
Other Recent Publications
Apr. 4, 2013: Keystone XL: The pipeline to disaster. Op-ed in the Los Angeles Times.
Symposium on a New Type of Major Power Relationship:
Presentation given at Counsellors Office of the State Council, Beijin, China on Feb. 24.
+ Download PDF (3.5 MB)
Minimizing Irreversible Impacts of Human-Made Climate Change:
Presentation given at AGU Fall Meeting on Dec. 12.
+ Download PDF (4.3 MB)
Recent TV Appearance
in Recent News
- Nov. 3, 2013: "Top climate scientists ask environmentalists to support nuclear power in climate battle" [Washington Post, originally from Associated Press]
This page last updated Thursday, 21-Aug-2014 15:08:24 EDT