Dr. James E. Hansen
475 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10115 USA
Dr. Hansen periodically posts commentary on his recent papers and presentations and on other topics of interest to an e-mail list. To receive announcements of new postings, please click here.
Except as noted, all postings linked here are in PDF form.
- July 24, 2014: Cap-and-Tax versus Fee-and-Dividend: How can we communicate more clearly?
- July 17, 2014: Monarchs Return? First sighting of 2014. Uncertain prospects for recovery.
- July 2, 2014: The Wheels of Justice: Legal actions, multi-front strategy, young people & the end-game.
- June 19, 2014: Too Little, Too Late? O ops?: The status of climate action.
- Apr. 29, 2014: Young People's Day in Court: Part II: A change of plans & what young people must ask.
- Apr. 24, 2014: Energy and Climate: Oral testimony to U.S. Senate and Response to Senator Menendez' questions.
- Apr. 14, 2014: Young People's Day in Court: An historic case will be held is the U.S. Court of Appeals on May 2.
- Apr. 1, 2014: Children and Adults on Climate Policy: Evidence that They "Get It": Opportunity to Change the Course of History.
- Mar. 17, 2014: Climate and Energy: Fundame ntal Facts, Responsibilities and Opportunities: Testimony to U.S. Senate.
- Mar. 10, 2014: Sleepless in Ningbo: note concerning following draft op-ed.
- Mar. 10, 2014: World's Greatest Crime against Humanity and Nature: draft op-ed.
- Feb. 27, 2014: Beijing Charts: Charts shown at Symposium on a New Type of Major Power Relationship, organized by the Counsellors' Office of the State Council of the People's Republic of China and the Kissinger Institute on China and the United States.
- Feb. 21, 2014: Renewable Energy, Nuclear Power, and Galileo: Draft Opinion Piece, Criticisms Welcome.
- Feb. 18, 2014: Jim Hansen on Facebook: comments o n new program at Columbia University.
- Jan. 31, 2014: Quest of a Broken-Wing Butterfly: letter to a grand child.
- Jan. 21, 2014: Global Temperature Update Through 2013: A Discussion.
- Jan. 14, 2014: Engineering and Science Experts Needed: to support "necessity defense" of young people.
- Dec. 3, 2013: "Assessing "Dangerous Climate Change": summary and commentary on new paper.
- Oct. 21, 2013: David vs Goliath: on unconventional fossil fuels and Citizens Climate Lobby.
- Sep. 26, 2013: Climate Sensitivity, Sea Level and Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide: Discussion of paper in Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc.
- Sep. 13, 2013: Tar Sands and Dirty Tricks: Discussion of New Yorker article on Tom Steyer and KXL pipeline.
- Sep. 13, 2013: Europe Standing Tall Against a Rogue State: Discussion of European trip re tar sands.
- May 29, 2013: The American Party: the need for a centrist 3rd party.
- May 9, 2013: Norway, Canada, United States and Tar Sands: A commentary.
- Apr. 15, 2013: Exaggeration, Jumping the Gun, and Venus Syndrome: Essay on climate science communication.
- Apr. 4, 2013: Pipeline to Disaster & Climate Maverick: LA Times opinion piece & NY Times article.
- Mar. 29, 2013: Doubling Down on Our Faustian Bargain. Essay on the missing climate data.
- Feb. 19, 2013: A Fork in the Road. A response to Joe Nocera column in the New York Times.
- Jan. 15, 2013: Remarks at the White House. A message of encouragement for the President.
- Jan. 15, 2013: Global Temperature Update Through 2012. Discussion of latest data.
- Jan. 7, 2013: Galileo and the Fireflies. What's happening in the Netherlands.
- Dec. 26: Update of Greenland Ice Sheet Mass Loss. Discussion of how the loss rate is changing.
- Dec. 13: Storms of My Grandchildren's Opa. Essay on pathways to the future.
- Nov. 1: Butterfly Report + Jeremiah, the Frog. Letter to my oldest grandchild.
- Oct. 23: Charts (PDF) presented at an "on-the-record" meeting with Grover Norquist and response to assertions by Michaels.
- Sep. 24: "A New Age of Risk" presented Sep. 22 at Columbia University. Slides available as PDF or PPT.
- Sep. 24: "A New Age of Risk" presentation at Columbia University on Sep. 22. Slides available as PDF (2.1 MB) PPT (2.5 MB).
- Aug. 11: Increasing Climate Extremes and "The New Climate Dice". New quantitative results and discussion.
- Aug. 3: "New Climate Dice" paper to be published under another name.
- May 9: Our Government and the Case for Young People: Hearing in the DC District Court and its science rationale.
- May 8: Climate Sensitivity from Earth's History: Draft paper, criticisms welcome. Popular summary to be prepared.
- Apr. 30: Coal Trains and Warren Buffett Request: Letter to Warren Buffett.
- Apr. 18: Request from Norway and Response: Follow-up to yesterday's post about Norwegian grandparents.
- Apr. 17: Grandparents Against Tar Sands: Comments about the demand of Norwegian grandparents that Statoil withdraw support of tar sands development.
- Apr. 5: "New Climate Dice" paper posted on arXiv (PDF). Comments about the paper and enlarged version of the principal figure also available.
- Mar. 30: Letter to President of Slovenian National Assembly and its attachment ("Case for Young People and Nature").
- Mar. 8, 2012: TED talk given Feb. 29 at Long Beach, Cal., is available on YouTube and the TED website. Retouched version of slides available as PDF and PPTX, both 6 MB.
- Jan. 31: Earth's Energy Imbalance: Press release, popular science summary, and PDF of paper.
- Jan. 30: Cowards in Our Democracies, Part 2: How "think tanks" help "work" our democracies for the benefit of the few.
- Jan. 27: Cowards in Our Democracies, Part 1: Discussion regarding Witness Statement to a UK Information Rights Tribunal.
- Jan. 19: Global Temperature in 2011, Trends, and Prospects: Update of GISS temperature analysis and discussion.
- Jan. 5: Perceptions of Climate Change: The New Climate Dice: Effect of global warming on climate extremes, draft paper.
- Nov. 10: Climate Variability and Climate Change: The New Climate Dice: Data on the increasing frequency of extreme events.
- Sep. 28: It's a Hard-Knock Butterfly's Life: On a lady butterfly and the intelligent species.
- Sep. 2: White House and Tar Sands: Discussion and remarks at the White House and National Press Club on Aug. 29.
- Aug. 26: Earth's Energy Imbalance and Implications: Revised paper, criticisms welcome.
- July 29: Baby Lauren and the Kool Aid: Discussion of renewable energies.
- July 20: Paleoclimate Paper and Science Brief: Final version of paper for Milankovitch volume and popular science summary.
- July 8: Paleoclimate Implications for Human-Made Climate Change: Revised paper for Milankovitch volume.
- June 3: Silence is Deadly: An appeal to get involved in decisions regarding tar sands.
- June 1: Dear Prime Minister Key: The Heart of the Matter: Reflections on a trip to New Zealand.
- May 16: What's Dangerous, Earth's Imbalance, and the Case for Young People: Brief follow-up to previous posting.
- May 5: The Case for Young People and Nature: A Path to a Healthy, Natural, Prosperous Future: Science basis describing what is required for governments to fulfill their obligations to young people and future generations.
- Apr. 18: Earth's Energy Imbalance and Implications: Draft paper, criticisms welcome. Note: Updated version posted on arXiv.org on May 5.
- Mar. 27: Perceptions of Climate Change: Can people recognize changing climate?
- Jan. 26: Singing in the Rain: Why we need Raffi, and more.
- Jan. 18: Paleoclimate Implications for Human-Made Climate Change: Draft paper for Milankovic volume.
- Dec. 21: A Conversation with Bill McKibben: New section included in paperback edition of Storms of My Grandchildren.
- Dec. 11: Global Temperature and Europe's Frigid Air: Current GISS global temperature analysis.
- Nov. 24: China and the Barbarians: Part 1, an optimistic perspective concerning the path required to stabilize climate.
- Nov. 22: The Price of Change, an op-ed on the potential of Chinese leadership to save the planet.
- Nov. 8: Blue Planet acceptance address and public lecture (PDF including text or Powerpoint charts).
- Oct. 22: Coal River Mountain Redux. An appeal for support of actions to stop mountaintop removal.
- Oct. 13: Conservative Principles and the 350 Work Party, suggestion to move Washington in the right direction. See also Million Letter March video clip on YouTube.
- Oct. 1: How Warm Was This Summer? Discussion of recent global temperatures and near-term projections.
- Sep. 29: Equal Protection of the Laws. Remarks at Freedom Plaza before the Appalachia Rising march to the White House on September 27.
- Aug. 25: Independence Day on Kayford Mountain (Larry Gibson, Ken Hechler, Lorelei Scarbro) led to "Activist", a short piece for J. Henry Fair's upcoming book.
- Aug. 13: What Global Warming Looks Like, discusses current global temperature anomalies in July 2010. See also summary and full paper accepted for publication in Reviews of Geophysics.
- July 30: Experience in Norway, including a letter to the Prime Minister, the government response, Sophie Prize remarks, and chance encounter with a war hero
- June 1: Revised draft of "Global Surface Temperature Change" paper, a summary discussion of the paper, and two PowerPoint posters of key figures.
- May 18: Copies of charts used in presentation at the French National Assembly were added to the presentations, in PDF and PowerPoint.
- Apr. 25: Earth Day on the Mall and People's Climate Stewardship Act. Remarks on Earth Day and a proposed Fee-and-Dividend bill
- Apr. 5: Obama's Second Chance on the Predominant Moral Issue of this Century. Op-ed available at Huffington Post or here as PDF.
- Mar. 25: Clarification re Civil Resistance. Explanation of a short quotation.
- Mar. 19: Current GISS Global Surface Temperature Analysis. First draft of a new journal article has been posted on GISS website.
- Jan. 26: If It's That Warm, How Come It's So Darned Cold? Revised essay on recent cold temperature anomalies.
- Jan. 15: If It's That Warm, How Come It's So Damned Cold? Essay on recent cold temperature anomalies.
- Jan. 12: The People vs. Carbon Traders: Essay on cap-and-trade vs. fee-and-dividend, in connection with protest at Carbon Trading Summit.
- Dec. 16: The Temperature of Science: Discussion of global temperature change and more.
- Dec. 11: Survival of Tibetan Glaciers: New paper on black soot and Himalayan glaciers is available on PNAS website. A discussion of it is has been posted among the NASA GISS science briefs. A NASA news release is expected on Monday, Dec. 14.
- Dec. 7: Sack Goldman Sachs Cap-and-Trade: Salty, verbose rant used to spawn sanitized op-ed on cap-and-trade for New York Times. Also, Storms of My Grandchildren published.
- Nov. 30: Never-Give-Up Fighting Spirit: Lessons from a grandchild, plus opinion piece "Any Hope of Cutting Global Carbon Emissions?" in The Observer.
- Nov. 6: I Just had a Baby, at Age 68 (two-page update), plus Global Warming Time Bomb presentation at Club of Rome assembly.
- July 13: Strategies & Sundance Kid: Discussion of policy implications of climate science.
- June 25: Coal River Mountain: Declaration and statements regarding civil disobedience in West Virginia.
- May 5: Temple of Doom: Letter to the Australian government, preceded by 2-page commentary on cap-and-trade.
- Apr. 24: Australia, the United States, and Global Warming, Draft of a letter to the Australian government.
- Mar. 29: An Unfortunate Quote, About a too quick reply to a New York Time question about Freeman Dyson.
- Mar. 24: Air Pollution Climate Forcings, Talk at Climate Change Congress in Copenhagen on Mar 11. Also available as PowerPoint.
- Feb. 26: Carbon Tax & 100% Dividend vs. Tax & Trade, Testimony to House Ways & Means Committee
- Feb. 15: The Sword of Damocles, op-ed submitted to The Observer
- Feb. 3: Tell Barack Obama About Coal River Mountain
- Jan. 13 2009: 2008 Global Temperature Analysis (see NASA GISS website for higher quality figures)
- Dec. 29: Dear Michelle and Barack, with revised Tell Barack Obama the Truth — the Whole Truth.
- Dec. 20: Copies of slides for the Bjerknes Lecture at San Francisco AGU meeting are available in PDF (2 MB) and PowerPoint (23 MB).
- Nov. 21: Tell Barack Obama the Truth — The Whole Truth
- Nov. 14: More about "Target CO2" and a Letter to Switzerland
- Oct. 30: "Target CO2" Publication, "Obstruction" Clarification, and a letter to Governor Paterson of New York
- Oct. 23: Obstruction of Justice
- Sep. 10: In Defence of Kingsnorth Six: Testimony for criminal trial in Kent, United Kingdom
- Aug. 4: Trip Report: Reactions in Germany, UK and Japan, and implications for post-Kyoto climate agreements; 4th generation (fast reactor) nuclear power; boron- and hydrogen-powered cars; sun & climate
- July 3: Dear Prime Minister Fukuda: A letter to leader of Japan before the G8 meeting
- June 23: Global Warming — Tipping Points: Today's presentation at the National Press Club, and briefing to the House Select Committee on Energy Independence & Global Warming. Related slides are available in PDF (3 MB) or PowerPoint (7 MB).
- June 4: Carbon Tax and 100% Dividend — No Alligator Shoes!
- May 29: Dear Governor Greenwash: Governors' actions fall short
- May 29: Letters to Governors Kaine and Pawlenty: Includes Kaine's response
- Apr. 14: Governor Gibbons and Three Coal Plants: A conversation with the Nevada governor
- Apr. 10: Yankee Ticket Prices and Fossil Fuels
- Apr. 1: Dear Prime Minister Rudd: A Letter to the Australian Prime Minister, and his June 5 reply
- Mar. 31: Mr. Rogers and Darth Vader: A Letter to the Duke Energy CEO
- Mar. 24: Rampant Negativity — No Reason to be so Glum
- Mar. 3: Cold Weather
- Jan. 25: Shadow on American Democracy: A discussion on censoring science
- Jan. 22: Dear Chancellor, Perspective of a Younger Generation: A letter to Dr. Merkel.
- Jan. 14: Solar and Southern Oscillations: GISS 2007 Temperature Analysis
- Jan. 2: The wrong choice for Massachusetts. Op-ed published in The Boston Globe, Jan. 2, 2008. (Download as PDF)
- Dec. 19: Dear Prime Minister
- Dec. 10: Global Temperature 2007 (11 Months)
- Nov. 28: Averting Our Eyes
- Nov. 21: Coal Mining: President and CEO. A letter from and a reply to a coal power advocate.
- Nov. 14: The "Peak Oil" paper (see Sep. 7 posting) has been revised and submitted to Global Biogeochemical Cycles. (Note: The paper was accepted in March 2008.)
- Nov. 5: Testimony submitted last week regarding the coal-fired power plant in Iowa is available here (1.7 MB PDF).
- Sep. 27: Lawlessness
- Sep. 24: Swift-Boating & Please Talk to Your Grandfather
- Sep. 7: "Peak Oil" Paper Revised and Temperature Analysis Code
- Aug. 16: The Real Deal: Usufruct & the Gorilla
- Aug. 10: A Light On Upstairs?
- Aug. 2: Declaration of Stewardship
- July 30: Sea Level Rise, Green Greenland & Fantabulous Inference
- July 23: Super Models, Old King Coal II, & Civil Disobedience
- Nov. 3: Global Temperatures in 2005. Comments regarding a recent Washington Post article.
- Sep. 27: Michael Crichton's "Scientific Method". Comments regarding a recently published novel.
This page last updated Thursday, 24-Jul-2014 13:32:56 EDT