Dr. James E. Hansen
475 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10115 USA
Dr. Hansen periodically posts commentary on his recent papers and presentations and on other topics of interest to an e-mail list. To receive announcements of new postings, please click here.
Except as noted, all postings linked here are in PDF form.
- Feb. 27, 2014: Beijin Charts: Charts shown at Symposium on a New Type of Major Powe r Relationship, organized by the Counsellors' Office of the State Council of the People' s Republic of China and the Kissinger Institute on China and the United States.
- Feb. 21, 2014: Renewable Energy, Nuclear Power, and Galileo: Draft Opinion Piece, Criticisms Welcome.
- Feb. 18, 2014: Jim Hansen on Facebook: comments o n new program at Columbia University.
- Jan. 31, 2014: Quest of a Broken-Wing Butterfly: letter to a grand child.
- Jan. 21, 2014: Global Temperature Update Through 2013: A Discussion.
- Jan. 14, 2014: Engineering and Science Experts Needed: to support "necessity defense" of young people.
- Dec. 3, 2013: "Assessing "Dangerous Climate Change": summary and commentary on new paper.
- Oct. 21, 2013: David vs Goliath: on unconventional fossil fuels and Citizens Climate Lobby.
- Sep. 26, 2013: Climate Sensitivity, Sea Level and Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide: Discussion of paper in Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc.
- Sep. 13, 2013: Tar Sands and Dirty Tricks: Discussion of New Yorker article on Tom Steyer and KXL pipeline.
- Sep. 13, 2013: Europe Standing Tall Against a Rogue State: Discussion of European trip re tar sands.
- May 29, 2013: The American Party: the need for a centrist 3rd party.
- May 9, 2013: Norway, Canada, United States and Tar Sands: A commentary.
- Apr. 15, 2013: Exaggeration, Jumping the Gun, and Venus Syndrome: Essay on climate science communication.
- Apr. 4, 2013: Pipeline to Disaster & Climate Maverick: LA Times opinion piece & NY Times article.
- Mar. 29, 2013: Doubling Down on Our Faustian Bargain. Essay on the missing climate data.
- Feb. 19, 2013: A Fork in the Road. A response to Joe Nocera column in the New York Times.
- Jan. 15, 2013: Remarks at the White House. A message of encouragement for the President.
- Jan. 15, 2013: Global Temperature Update Through 2012. Discussion of latest data.
- Jan. 7, 2013: Galileo and the Fireflies. What's happening in the Netherlands.
- Dec. 26: Update of Greenland Ice Sheet Mass Loss. Discussion of how the loss rate is changing.
- Dec. 13: Storms of My Grandchildren's Opa. Essay on pathways to the future.
- Nov. 1: Butterfly Report + Jeremiah, the Frog. Letter to my oldest grandchild.
- Oct. 23: Charts (PDF) presented at an "on-the-record" meeting with Grover Norquist and response to assertions by Michaels.
- Sep. 24: "A New Age of Risk" presented Sep. 22 at Columbia University. Slides available as PDF or PPT.
- Sep. 24: "A New Age of Risk" presentation at Columbia University on Sep. 22. Slides available as PDF (2.1 MB) PPT (2.5 MB).
- Aug. 11: Increasing Climate Extremes and "The New Climate Dice". New quantitative results and discussion.
- Aug. 3: "New Climate Dice" paper to be published under another name.
- May 9: Our Government and the Case for Young People: Hearing in the DC District Court and its science rationale.
- May 8: Climate Sensitivity from Earth's History: Draft paper, criticisms welcome. Popular summary to be prepared.
- Apr. 30: Coal Trains and Warren Buffett Request: Letter to Warren Buffett.
- Apr. 18: Request from Norway and Response: Follow-up to yesterday's post about Norwegian grandparents.
- Apr. 17: Grandparents Against Tar Sands: Comments about the demand of Norwegian grandparents that Statoil withdraw support of tar sands development.
- Apr. 5: "New Climate Dice" paper posted on arXiv (PDF). Comments about the paper and enlarged version of the principal figure also available.
- Mar. 30: Letter to President of Slovenian National Assembly and its attachment ("Case for Young People and Nature").
- Mar. 8, 2012: TED talk given Feb. 29 at Long Beach, Cal., is available on YouTube and the TED website. Retouched version of slides available as PDF and PPTX, both 6 MB.
- Jan. 31: Earth's Energy Imbalance: Press release, popular science summary, and PDF of paper.
- Jan. 30: Cowards in Our Democracies, Part 2: How "think tanks" help "work" our democracies for the benefit of the few.
- Jan. 27: Cowards in Our Democracies, Part 1: Discussion regarding Witness Statement to a UK Information Rights Tribunal.
- Jan. 19: Global Temperature in 2011, Trends, and Prospects: Update of GISS temperature analysis and discussion.
- Jan. 5: Perceptions of Climate Change: The New Climate Dice: Effect of global warming on climate extremes, draft paper.
- Nov. 10: Climate Variability and Climate Change: The New Climate Dice: Data on the increasing frequency of extreme events.
- Sep. 28: It's a Hard-Knock Butterfly's Life: On a lady butterfly and the intelligent species.
- Sep. 2: White House and Tar Sands: Discussion and remarks at the White House and National Press Club on Aug. 29.
- Aug. 26: Earth's Energy Imbalance and Implications: Revised paper, criticisms welcome.
- July 29: Baby Lauren and the Kool Aid: Discussion of renewable energies.
- July 20: Paleoclimate Paper and Science Brief: Final version of paper for Milankovitch volume and popular science summary.
- July 8: Paleoclimate Implications for Human-Made Climate Change: Revised paper for Milankovitch volume.
- June 3: Silence is Deadly: An appeal to get involved in decisions regarding tar sands.
- June 1: Dear Prime Minister Key: The Heart of the Matter: Reflections on a trip to New Zealand.
- May 16: What's Dangerous, Earth's Imbalance, and the Case for Young People: Brief follow-up to previous posting.
- May 5: The Case for Young People and Nature: A Path to a Healthy, Natural, Prosperous Future: Science basis describing what is required for governments to fulfill their obligations to young people and future generations.
- Apr. 18: Earth's Energy Imbalance and Implications: Draft paper, criticisms welcome. Note: Updated version posted on arXiv.org on May 5.
- Mar. 27: Perceptions of Climate Change: Can people recognize changing climate?
- Jan. 26: Singing in the Rain: Why we need Raffi, and more.
- Jan. 18: Paleoclimate Implications for Human-Made Climate Change: Draft paper for Milankovic volume.
- Dec. 21: A Conversation with Bill McKibben: New section included in paperback edition of Storms of My Grandchildren.
- Dec. 11: Global Temperature and Europe's Frigid Air: Current GISS global temperature analysis.
- Nov. 24: China and the Barbarians: Part 1, an optimistic perspective concerning the path required to stabilize climate.
- Nov. 22: The Price of Change, an op-ed on the potential of Chinese leadership to save the planet.
- Nov. 8: Blue Planet acceptance address and public lecture (PDF including text or Powerpoint charts).
- Oct. 22: Coal River Mountain Redux. An appeal for support of actions to stop mountaintop removal.
- Oct. 13: Conservative Principles and the 350 Work Party, suggestion to move Washington in the right direction. See also Million Letter March video clip on YouTube.
- Oct. 1: How Warm Was This Summer? Discussion of recent global temperatures and near-term projections.
- Sep. 29: Equal Protection of the Laws. Remarks at Freedom Plaza before the Appalachia Rising march to the White House on September 27.
- Aug. 25: Independence Day on Kayford Mountain (Larry Gibson, Ken Hechler, Lorelei Scarbro) led to "Activist", a short piece for J. Henry Fair's upcoming book.
- Aug. 13: What Global Warming Looks Like, discusses current global temperature anomalies in July 2010. See also summary and full paper accepted for publication in Reviews of Geophysics.
- July 30: Experience in Norway, including a letter to the Prime Minister, the government response, Sophie Prize remarks, and chance encounter with a war hero
- June 1: Revised draft of "Global Surface Temperature Change" paper, a summary discussion of the paper, and two PowerPoint posters of key figures.
- May 18: Copies of charts used in presentation at the French National Assembly were added to the presentations, in PDF and PowerPoint.
- Apr. 25: Earth Day on the Mall and People's Climate Stewardship Act. Remarks on Earth Day and a proposed Fee-and-Dividend bill
- Apr. 5: Obama's Second Chance on the Predominant Moral Issue of this Century. Op-ed available at Huffington Post or here as PDF.
- Mar. 25: Clarification re Civil Resistance. Explanation of a short quotation.
- Mar. 19: Current GISS Global Surface Temperature Analysis. First draft of a new journal article has been posted on GISS website.
- Jan. 26: If It's That Warm, How Come It's So Darned Cold? Revised essay on recent cold temperature anomalies.
- Jan. 15: If It's That Warm, How Come It's So Damned Cold? Essay on recent cold temperature anomalies.
- Jan. 12: The People vs. Carbon Traders: Essay on cap-and-trade vs. fee-and-dividend, in connection with protest at Carbon Trading Summit.
- Dec. 16: The Temperature of Science: Discussion of global temperature change and more.
- Dec. 11: Survival of Tibetan Glaciers: New paper on black soot and Himalayan glaciers is available on PNAS website. A discussion of it is has been posted among the NASA GISS science briefs. A NASA news release is expected on Monday, Dec. 14.
- Dec. 7: Sack Goldman Sachs Cap-and-Trade: Salty, verbose rant used to spawn sanitized op-ed on cap-and-trade for New York Times. Also, Storms of My Grandchildren published.
- Nov. 30: Never-Give-Up Fighting Spirit: Lessons from a grandchild, plus opinion piece "Any Hope of Cutting Global Carbon Emissions?" in The Observer.
- Nov. 6: I Just had a Baby, at Age 68 (two-page update), plus Global Warming Time Bomb presentation at Club of Rome assembly.
- July 13: Strategies & Sundance Kid: Discussion of policy implications of climate science.
- June 25: Coal River Mountain: Declaration and statements regarding civil disobedience in West Virginia.
- May 5: Temple of Doom: Letter to the Australian government, preceded by 2-page commentary on cap-and-trade.
- Apr. 24: Australia, the United States, and Global Warming, Draft of a letter to the Australian government.
- Mar. 29: An Unfortunate Quote, About a too quick reply to a New York Time question about Freeman Dyson.
- Mar. 24: Air Pollution Climate Forcings, Talk at Climate Change Congress in Copenhagen on Mar 11. Also available as PowerPoint.
- Feb. 26: Carbon Tax & 100% Dividend vs. Tax & Trade, Testimony to House Ways & Means Committee
- Feb. 15: The Sword of Damocles, op-ed submitted to The Observer
- Feb. 3: Tell Barack Obama About Coal River Mountain
- Jan. 13 2009: 2008 Global Temperature Analysis (see NASA GISS website for higher quality figures)
- Dec. 29: Dear Michelle and Barack, with revised Tell Barack Obama the Truth — the Whole Truth.
- Dec. 20: Copies of slides for the Bjerknes Lecture at San Francisco AGU meeting are available in PDF (2 MB) and PowerPoint (23 MB).
- Nov. 21: Tell Barack Obama the Truth — The Whole Truth
- Nov. 14: More about "Target CO2" and a Letter to Switzerland
- Oct. 30: "Target CO2" Publication, "Obstruction" Clarification, and a letter to Governor Paterson of New York
- Oct. 23: Obstruction of Justice
- Sep. 10: In Defence of Kingsnorth Six: Testimony for criminal trial in Kent, United Kingdom
- Aug. 4: Trip Report: Reactions in Germany, UK and Japan, and implications for post-Kyoto climate agreements; 4th generation (fast reactor) nuclear power; boron- and hydrogen-powered cars; sun & climate
- July 3: Dear Prime Minister Fukuda: A letter to leader of Japan before the G8 meeting
- June 23: Global Warming — Tipping Points: Today's presentation at the National Press Club, and briefing to the House Select Committee on Energy Independence & Global Warming. Related slides are available in PDF (3 MB) or PowerPoint (7 MB).
- June 4: Carbon Tax and 100% Dividend — No Alligator Shoes!
- May 29: Dear Governor Greenwash: Governors' actions fall short
- May 29: Letters to Governors Kaine and Pawlenty: Includes Kaine's response
- Apr. 14: Governor Gibbons and Three Coal Plants: A conversation with the Nevada governor
- Apr. 10: Yankee Ticket Prices and Fossil Fuels
- Apr. 1: Dear Prime Minister Rudd: A Letter to the Australian Prime Minister, and his June 5 reply
- Mar. 31: Mr. Rogers and Darth Vader: A Letter to the Duke Energy CEO
- Mar. 24: Rampant Negativity — No Reason to be so Glum
- Mar. 3: Cold Weather
- Jan. 25: Shadow on American Democracy: A discussion on censoring science
- Jan. 22: Dear Chancellor, Perspective of a Younger Generation: A letter to Dr. Merkel.
- Jan. 14: Solar and Southern Oscillations: GISS 2007 Temperature Analysis
- Jan. 2: The wrong choice for Massachusetts. Op-ed published in The Boston Globe, Jan. 2, 2008. (Download as PDF)
- Dec. 19: Dear Prime Minister
- Dec. 10: Global Temperature 2007 (11 Months)
- Nov. 28: Averting Our Eyes
- Nov. 21: Coal Mining: President and CEO. A letter from and a reply to a coal power advocate.
- Nov. 14: The "Peak Oil" paper (see Sep. 7 posting) has been revised and submitted to Global Biogeochemical Cycles. (Note: The paper was accepted in March 2008.)
- Nov. 5: Testimony submitted last week regarding the coal-fired power plant in Iowa is available here (1.7 MB PDF).
- Sep. 27: Lawlessness
- Sep. 24: Swift-Boating & Please Talk to Your Grandfather
- Sep. 7: "Peak Oil" Paper Revised and Temperature Analysis Code
- Aug. 16: The Real Deal: Usufruct & the Gorilla
- Aug. 10: A Light On Upstairs?
- Aug. 2: Declaration of Stewardship
- July 30: Sea Level Rise, Green Greenland & Fantabulous Inference
- July 23: Super Models, Old King Coal II, & Civil Disobedience
- Nov. 3: Global Temperatures in 2005. Comments regarding a recent Washington Post article.
- Sep. 27: Michael Crichton's "Scientific Method". Comments regarding a recently published novel.
This page last updated Wednesday, 26-Feb-2014 17:46:32 EST