Carri W. Chan
Decision, Risk, and Operations
Columbia Business School
Uris Hall, Room 410
3022 Broadway, New York, NY 10027
Email: cwchan AT columbia DOT edu
I am an Assistant Professor in the Division of
Decision, Risk, and Operations at Columbia Business
School. My research interests are in modeling complex stochastic systems,
dynamic optimization, scheduling
and queueing. My current focus is on problems related to health-care operations management. In particular, I am considering how to improve patient flow through hospital Intensive Care Units.
I completed my PhD at the Information
Systems Laboratory in the
Department of Electrical
Stanford University. I did my undergraduate studies
C. W. Chan, N. Bambos, J. Singh, Network Assisted Mobile Computing with Optimal Uplink Quey Processing, IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing 2013.
C. W. Chan, V. F. Farias, N. Bambos, G. Escobar, Optimizing ICU Discharge Decisions with Patient Readmissions, Operations Research 2012.
N. E. Leahy, R. W. Yurt, E. J. Lazar, A. A. Villacara, A. C. Rabbitts, L. Berger, C. Chan, L. Chertoff, K. M. Conlon, A. Cooper, L. V. Green, B. Greenstein, Y. Lu, S. Miller, F. P. Mineo, D. Pruitt, D. S. Ribaudo, C. Ruhren, S. H. Silber, L. Soloff, Burn Disaster Response Planning in New York City: Updated Recommendations for Best Practices, Journal of Burn Care & Research 2012.
A. Dua, C. W. Chan, N. Bambos, J. Apostolopoulos, Channel, deadline, and distortion aware scheduling of video streams over wireless,
IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications 2010.
- Working Papers:
- C. W. Chan, V. F. Farias, G. Escobar, The Impact of Delays on Service Times in the Intensive Care Unit
- B. Zhu, M. Armony, C. W. Chan, Critical care in hospitals: When to introduce a Step Down Unit?
- S.-H. Kim, C. W. Chan, M. Olivares, G. Escobar, ICU Admission Control: An Empirical Study of Capacity Allocation and its Implication on Patient Outcomes, Online Appendix
- Finalist 2013 INFORMS Pierskalla Award for the Best Paper in Healthcare
- S.-H. Kim: Finalist 2013 INFORMS Health Applications Society Student
- S.-H. Kim: First Place 2013 MSOM Student Paper Competition
- C. W. Chan, G. Escobar, G. Yom-Tov, When to use Speedup: An Examination of Service
Systems with Returns
- Second Place: INFORMS 2012 JFIG best paper competition
- C. W. Chan, M. Armony, N. Bambos. Fairness in Overloaded Parallel Queues
- Published Journal Papers:
- C. W. Chan, L. V. Green, Y. Lu, N. Leahy, R. Yurt. Prioritizing Burn-Injured Patients During a Disaster, MSOM 2013. (Excel-based Triage tool)
- First place: 2011 INFORMS Section on Public Programs, Services and Needs (SPPSN) best paper competition
C. W. Chan, V. F. Farias Stochastic depletion problems: Effective myopic
policies for a class of dynamic optimization problems,
Mathematics of Operations Research 2009
C. W. Chan, N. Bambos, S. Wee, J. Apostolopoulos,Scheduling
Algorithms for Broadcasting Media with Multiple Distortion Measures,
IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications 2009
C. W. Chan, S. Wee, J. Apostolopoulos, Multiple Distortion Measures for Packetized Scalable Media,
IEEE Trans. on Multimedia 2008.
- Best Journal Paper of the Year, IEEE Multimedia Communications TC
C. W. Chan, L. V. Green. Improving Access to Healthcare: Models of Adaptive Behavior, Handbook of Healthcare Operations Management, International Series in Operations Research & Management Science (Editor: B. Denton) 2013
- Columbia Business School:
- Service Operations, (MSE Elective).
- Decision Models, (MBA Core)
- Stanford University, Teaching Assistant:
- Queueing Systems and Processing Networks, MS&E 335.
- Network Architectures and Performance
- Introduction to Computer
- Reviewer for journals:
- Mathematics of Operations Research
- Operations Research
- Management Science
- Manufacturing & Service Operations Management
- Naval Research Logistics
- Production and Operations Management
- INFORMS Journal on Computing
- IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology
- IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia
- IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications
- Reviewer for conferences
- IEEE ICME
- IEEE Packet Video Workshop
- Professional Memberships:
Honors and Awards
- NSF/AHRQ CMMI Grant #1233547 (2012-2015) with G. Escobar (Kaiser Permanente Division of Research): "Collaborative Research: Management of Transitional Care Units to Improve Hospital Outcomes" ($300,000)
- STMicroelectronics Stanford Graduate Fellowship for graduate studies, Stanford
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, Honorable Mention, 2006.